2 way radios?

Started by GrizzlyGator, July 30, 2007, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyGator

hey all  :X, I've got a question concerning 2-way radios say a motorolla talk about and a cobra hand held...if they r both frs radios can they talk to each other??? This may be a stupid question dunno  :dunno.gif

MgOnZo700

As long as their in the same channel you should be able to communicate.  ;)

big-daddy

All motorolla talk abouts have there own channel and Cobras have different channels
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

Moose

You have to look up the frequency each radio operates on.
I have a short wave radio with am bands, and others, and have to look up the channels to talk to the normal 40 channel radios.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Bigscrb15

I think Motorola is the best. I found a great website while looking for them. Check it out. They have GREAT service. www.myradiomall.com
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

GrizzlyGator

Quote from: big-daddy on July 30, 2007, 06:16:35 PM
All motorolla talk abouts have there own channel and Cobras have different channels

Thanks for all the replys folks...but the above quote is what I feared..guess I'll stick with motorolla's....... ;D

big-daddy

Quote from: Bigscrb15 on July 30, 2007, 08:27:33 PM
I think Motorola is the best. I found a great website while looking for them. Check it out. They have GREAT service. www.myradiomall.com

Thank Cody   ;)
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

GrizzlyGator

Quote from: big-daddy on July 31, 2007, 08:14:36 AM
Quote from: Bigscrb15 on July 30, 2007, 08:27:33 PM
I think Motorola is the best. I found a great website while looking for them. Check it out. They have GREAT service. www.myradiomall.com

Thank Cody   ;)

ight!!!!! thank you Cody  ;D

anarion55

All FRS radios will talk to each other. All GMRS will talk to FRS as well, but GMRS has channels that are not accessible by FRS, only other GMRS.

Most manufacturers have their own "privacy" features, that will only allow them to talk to other units set the same way (meaning same brand), but those features can almost always be turned off as desired.

We use our Motorola GMRS to talk to both our Motorola AND Midland FRS units.

Tony
Shut up and hang on.

Tony

Kawasaki KFX400, ZX-9r

GrizzlyGator

Quote from: anarion55 on July 31, 2007, 01:47:48 PM
All FRS radios will talk to each other. All GMRS will talk to FRS as well, but GMRS has channels that are not accessible by FRS, only other GMRS.

Most manufacturers have their own "privacy" features, that will only allow them to talk to other units set the same way (meaning same brand), but those features can almost always be turned off as desired.

We use our Motorola GMRS to talk to both our Motorola AND Midland FRS units.

Tony

OK now I'm thoroughly confused :(

anarion55

Quote from: Can-AmGator on August 01, 2007, 06:53:52 AM

OK now I'm thoroughly confused :(

Ok. FRS is FRS, no matter WHO makes the units. But they may have brand-proprietary "privacy" features that only let them hear units of the same manufacturer, if set to do so.

GMRS radios operate on different frequencies, but INCLUDE the FRS frequencies (at least my motorola GMRS units do). To if you set your GMRS radio to the "shared" FRS channel, it will talk to FRS radios (of course the "privacy" features mentioned above may still be a problem unless you turn them off).

Better?

Tony
Shut up and hang on.

Tony

Kawasaki KFX400, ZX-9r

GrizzlyGator

10-4......Gotcha a lot better  ;D

JackL

The privacy feature is also known as a PL tone. All FRS radios can talk to each other provided the channel and PL are set together.

While you are considering getting one, check out this unit: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6404&tab=rino

Seen em on ebay for $50 before.

You can talk to any FRS/GMRS and send you location to your buddy with it. ;)
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com