Help With Chevrolet Suburban A/C Problem..

Started by AmericanRobster, July 02, 2007, 11:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanRobster

I was wondering if anybody could help me out here with this problem.

My friend owns and 99 Chevrolet Suburban and we are having a problem with the A/C.

The A/C blows, but the air is hot

What can I do so my friend can get his A/C working properly.

Thanks,
Rob
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Sleazy_Rider78

I just had this problem with my 2000 Chevy Silverado.  Check the inner belt that turns your a/c compressor.   The V8's have a main belt and a second inner belt just for the air conditioning compressor.  The inner belt can be accessed from under neath the truck.  My tensioner went bad and therefore it wasn't allowing the belt to turn the a/c compressor, hence it was blowing out hot air.
[url="//www.myspace.com/mlatcham"]www.myspace.com/mlatcham[/url]
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html[/url]

fishfry

It sounds like the system may be low of freon. It will keep the conpresser from coming on.
Look at the hoses to see if you can see if there is some green slim at the connections. That will be the leek.
Look at the compressor and the dryer can to see if all the wires are hooked up.
There it a low pressure switch on the high side of the system, unplug the wires and jump the wires and see if the conpressure comes on. This means everthing is working but you will need freon.
Or if you have a set of gages hook them up and it will tell you if it needs charged.

Most likely it needs charging.
A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at work.

500 mule (for sale)
Bronco II

TRX450R_Racer

Quote from: Sleazy_Rider78 on July 02, 2007, 11:24:38 PM
I just had this problem with my 2000 Chevy Silverado.  Check the inner belt that turns your a/c compressor.   The V8's have a main belt and a second inner belt just for the air conditioning compressor.  The inner belt can be accessed from under neath the truck.  My tensioner went bad and therefore it wasn't allowing the belt to turn the a/c compressor, hence it was blowing out hot air.

A 99 Suburban has a 5.7 not a 4.8 or 5.3. It only has one belt.

You need to put some guages on it to check the pressure. It is more than likely low on freon. You will have to charge it and check for leaks. That is assuming the compressor is still working.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Da_Mtg_Man

FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Joedirt

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on July 03, 2007, 11:14:35 AM
2 words..... Flux capacitor.


I hear ya , I overheated my Wiffle valve and cracked the Bell housing...
2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers

KB

Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on July 03, 2007, 10:30:38 AM
Quote from: Sleazy_Rider78 on July 02, 2007, 11:24:38 PM
I just had this problem with my 2000 Chevy Silverado.  Check the inner belt that turns your a/c compressor.   The V8's have a main belt and a second inner belt just for the air conditioning compressor.  The inner belt can be accessed from under neath the truck.  My tensioner went bad and therefore it wasn't allowing the belt to turn the a/c compressor, hence it was blowing out hot air.

A 99 Suburban has a 5.7 not a 4.8 or 5.3. It only has one belt.

You need to put some guages on it to check the pressure. It is more than likely low on freon. You will have to charge it and check for leaks. That is assuming the compressor is still working.

Listen to him he's a mechanic & I believe a Chevy man too.

1FasterBlaster

  I had the same problem with my Tahoe. I would charge it, then check the sytem for leaks first. If it's still blowing hot, check the belt tensioner or the AC compressor.
  If all else fails, keep the windows open!! ;D ;D ;D

AmericanRobster

Took the Suburban in this morning to the mechanics. Found out that it was a leak in my compressor, had a bad fan belt, and some other weird stuff. This is going to cost my friend about $1100. Thanks for all the input.  :)
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

KB

$1100.00 will buy a whole complete A/C unless it has something to do w/ the rear A/C.
It's gettin hot & some mechanics know you will pay whatever to fix it, just like your home A/C.
If he can wait 'till it starts to cool down a little, some A/C shops might not be so busy & give a better price, tell him he'll save almost that in gas not running it, I know I been using mine less this year, I just hate a sweaty back on a leather seat though, I need to put a towel or T-shirt over it before it starts absorbing it & stinking. (wish I woulda got cloth or vinyl seats instead)

TRX450R_Racer

$1100 is a little high unless there is something else being done or using AcDelco parts. Like KB said it is HOT and this is like Christmas shopping. The time of the year dictates the prices.

List prices on parts

Gm compressor            $675.78
Aftermarket new one     $411.49

GM Drier                       $63.65
Aftermarket one            $37.92

Orifice Tube                   $13.73

Gm belt                         $53.67
Cheap one                     $29.86

Plus labor about $80 an hour, oil and freon.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

eldiablo64

MY 00 SONOMA DID THE SAME THING IT HAD THE 4.3 VORTEC.THE PROBLEM I HAD WAS THE COMPRESSOR KICKED ON AND OFF REAL FAST.
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

AmericanRobster

Quote from: eldiablo64 on July 03, 2007, 02:36:02 PM
MY 00 SONOMA DID THE SAME THING IT HAD THE 4.3 VORTEC.THE PROBLEM I HAD WAS THE COMPRESSOR KICKED ON AND OFF REAL FAST.

The Suburban was doing that too....

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

AmericanRobster

Quote from: ScratchupBangupBoy on July 03, 2007, 11:39:07 AM
 I had the same problem with my Tahoe. I would charge it, then check the sytem for leaks first. If it's still blowing hot, check the belt tensioner or the AC compressor.
  If all else fails, keep the windows open!! ;D ;D ;D

It sure would of been a long azz ride while sticking to the leather all the way to the Pepsi 400....

Everything is cool now!!!! ;)
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Doritos660R

since your compressor was only leaking you could have gone withouth the dryer and orfice tube   but i would have suggested charging it and seeing how long it lasted.if it lasted 3months, $20 for freon every 3months is alot cheaper than a compressor.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com