KX restoration

Started by buzzardman, May 05, 2007, 12:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzardman

Well, I started my restoration project on my 86 KX 250.  I got it all apart with ease because half the bolts were missing already.LOL  Next week the frame is off to get powder coated.  Most of the new stuff is on order but some things I didn't realize I was going to need.  Decided I have to get a new pipe, and a new gas tank. Yikes!, that raised the project budget about $450.  but it sure will be nice when it's done.  Hopefully I can remember how it all goes back together. ???  It has been many yrs since I have turned a wrench on a dirt bike.

buzzardman

before

buzzardman

after tear down

buzzardman


buzzardman

3

buzzardman


JackL

Nice. I'm getting ready to do up my 250r. i think I'll skip the powder coating though.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

NYRAPTOR

looking better already clay.  ;D

buzzardman

I should start seeing some parts ariving this week.  Yippy!!!

buzzardman

I got parts the other day.  Woo HOO!   Today I went through the front end.  I got the forks, frnt brakes, hand hardware, all done today.  Ready to slip it into the frame when it gets home.  Tomorrow night the rear gets done ie.. swing arm bearings/bushings, brakes,sproket and hub.

buzzardman

It's starting to come together.

mrbones

Lookin' good buzzardman!
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

buzzardman

thanks,  Today the engine goes back in and hopefully the swingarm.

buzzardman

#13
oh man, I'm super bummed out.

I guess I should have really done a thorough engine inspection before begining the restoration of this bike.  I did investigate parts availability and it was a go.  But today i was giving the engine a good look over before I clean it up and put it back in the bike.  I found the piston and cyl. to be all chewed up.  :'( :'( :'(  So once again I thought I am going to have to throw more $$$ at this and the problem will be solved.  Except now I find out that the cyl. can't be bored because it is some sort of chrome infusion somethin or other.  Then it gets worse,  they don't sell the sleeves anymore because they have been discontinued.  Nor do they sell the whole cyl.    So I have all this money in this bike and the engine isn't repairable.  I'm really bummed.  I have about 800 so far in the project.  Then to add insult to injury, the body parts I ordered at a local shop came in today and I had to buy them (to be honorable) and that was darn close to 300 bucks.  As I pulled the $ from my wallet I was sad to know it was for nothing I guess. :'( :'( :'(
Anyone have any ideas, cuz I'm stuck.
cjt

buzzardman

Good news!  I found a company in Las Angelas California that makes sleeves for discontinued bikes. ;D  It is going to be a bit pricey but the project continues.  Woo Hoo!  Here is the latest pic.

Eric5555

[url="http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418"]http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418[/url]

2007 kx250f
2006 kx250f
2003 rm250

FOR SALE:
2003 rm250
-MESSAGE ME

NYRAPTOR

looking sweet! croom pretty soon.

buzzardman

It's getting really close to seeing dirt!

buzzardman


MAJORLEAGUEQUADS

where did you get that bike? cause i had a friend that had that same exact bike. i dont know what he did with it though. i think when he bought it he paid $800 for it. good job keeping the 2 stroke alive :ThumbsUp.gif

Toomey

The cylinder is just a regular plated cylinder like that on any two stroke of nowadays.  You send it, they strip the plating off of it, and replate it for you.  http://www.usnicom.com/ is one of the big guys for this service, it's like $200 to do a cylinder, I'm not sure what kind of price you've got to do the new sleeve.
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

buzzardman

#21
thanks toomey,  I'l look into it.  La Sleeve will run about 3 bills. The one nice thing about sleeving it instead of re chrome is that if it gets scortched again, I can just get it bored out instead of re chroming again.  Maybe cheaper with long term?   What do you think?

cjt

Toomey

Make sure there's oversize pistons for your year KX, because if they don't make them anymore, you're not going to be boreing anything.  And the harder you are on the bike, the better the plating will be for you.  If you're not going to be hard on the bike or riding it every single day and stuff, the sleeve will be alright.  I've never had a sleeve or ridden everyday, it's just stuff I read about on other forums, they tend to not advise getting a sleeve, but sometimes it is the way to go.
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com