Getting a title for an atv with a bill of sale?

Started by Cory1020, March 14, 2007, 01:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory1020

Im looking at getting an atv that is an 00 or 01 model, does not have a title. Guys says he will give bill of sale. Is there a way I can get a title for it? He said it never had a title. I dont want to buy it if I can not get a title. Any info or website links would be appreciated.
99 F-150 4x4
8" lift on 35x13.5 cooper sst

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon

greenmachine

1st step, go to for sale section & run the vin# to see if it is stolen. I am sure that in 2000-01 you could not buy an atv without a title when new. Sounds fishy.

live2mud

I know that in 2000 honda did't have titles on some of there quads..

qt314nfla

You will have great difficulty getting a title for this.  Most bikes at that time had origination of title papers.  Those have to be sent in to get the first title.  If he bought it new he should be able to track it down to the dealer.  If he bought it used good luck. 

Mr. Fixit

I've gotten 2 out of 3 quads titled with just a bill of sale. One was from Atlanta and one from Vermont. My daughter Eton I didn't have a bill of sale just the vin. Then again I am very honest looking LOL.   

cr1

i just got a 1999 titled with bill of sale ,had no problems

TRX450R_Racer

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

yunt2ride

You may want to check out these links to be sure that it does not have a lien or that it is not reported stolen. Beware because I actually purchased one and had a cop friend run it and it came back clean and a week later the owner realized it was gone and reported it stolen and I lost my money and the quad.

http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,7512.0.html

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

1FasterBlaster

   Take the bill of sale with the Vin# to the Title agency.As long as it doesn't come back stolen, you can pay to get a title.If it comes back hot...your out of luck.

ScooterB

I have titled an ATV,a 2001 polaris and a 2001 KX125 this year with only a bill of sale.

The dept of motor vehicles told me in 2002 they started issuing titles with all new OHV's
If oyu have a 02 or newer you need a title to tranfer or the original MSO.
06 Honda Rancher 350ES 
10 KTM 200 XCW
01 KX 125
FTR # 63C SSR-C
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor
SADRA
NPORA

yunt2ride

Titles did start in 2002 but before that they had manufacturers certificate of origins, which is basically a manufacturers title.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Cory1020

ok thanks everyone. Its a 01 or 00 yamaha kodiak. His story: they (he has another one for sale) were bought new and used on a farm very little, then he bought them somewhat recently. Said he has 4 and wants to get rid of 2. Ill have to go look at it and get the vin and run it to see if its stolen. If he is fishy when we look at it, I wont even bother to buy.
99 F-150 4x4
8" lift on 35x13.5 cooper sst

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon

digginfool

I bought a Kawasaki Prairie 400 4x4 new in 2001.  It came with the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin - same thing as a Certificate of Origin) that I had misplaced over the years.  I did manage to find the Bill of Sale but had absolutely no luck at DMV getting a title.  They outright refused to do it without the MSO.  I contacted Kawasaki and was informed that they would only issue a duplicate MSO to the dealer that originally sold the quad, if still in business, otherwise, it would have to be through another dealer.  Luckily, I contacted the dealer, he was still in business and for $20.00 and 1 week, I had a duplicate MSO.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com