My ONF review

Started by scrambledeggs, February 02, 2007, 04:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrambledeggs

Just went to ONF for the first time since the trail system was instituted and thought I'd give my two cents. If your kidneys and back can survive the whoops you can do most of the Northern area in one to two days. I logged 100 miles in two days up there. The trails offer no challenges as far as skill goes but you do get to see alot of the forest. We only saw a handfull of people in the three days we were there. The Delancy loops (purple) are the funnest and least whooped out. Don't waste your time with wandering wiregrass. The one cool sink area we passed (near Longleaf, yellow) had lots of trails in it but was marked no riding. No more swinging by the 88 store. I love having to stay on a marked trail while the whole area next to it is clear cut. I thought the trails were pretty well marked and you don't really need a GPS. The most fun I have had in Ocala was at a construction area with rock piles and nice trails across the street near cr301. I don't know if that was or is legal. If they do groom the trails and put in some areas with manmade obstacles I think it will be alot better. Right now I think Croom is better and is a little closer to my house. I have all my tracks if you want to load them in your garmin and you have mapsourse give me an email. BTW I ride a Vinson 500 manual.

PS: Elite is selling all the cabins as condos for a mere 125k you can own the smallest one furthest from the lake.

1FasterBlaster

It's a good thing they weren't getting any revenue from us for that place, cause they really F'ed it up.I don't hear anyone raving anymore about how good it is to ride there.
   I'd like to personally slap the shiznit for the idiots that let that place go to what it has.I hated Croom.Now I love it...even if I have to pay $50.00 bucks a year.Although I usually stay in the Pitt.But they have started grooming the place.
  A message to the management of O.N.F.,"Thanks for nothing!"

randyz

Yes, but dont forget the machinery to groom the trails is on order and will be here "next month".  Of course we have been hearing that since they went to the marked trails.

scrambledeggs

It better be one helluva machine. It has it's work cut out, for sure.

lisa

  If they get the macine running before next year, I might be impressed.

   They will be charging a fee for the ONF soon too. I talked with one Forestry guy, Jim Schmidt I think, and asked him since we will be charged will we have "play areas too?" LOL yeah right. So I said; "you are going to charge us, and tell us we can't play, got it...." He got my point.
In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1904

Prairie Master

#5
Quote from: randyz on February 06, 2007, 12:24:12 AM
Yes, but dont forget the machinery to groom the trails is on order and will be here "next month".  Of course we have been hearing that since they went to the marked trails.

Every month the say it will be here next month, They always say there making machines to send to Iraq then Ocala is next ???  I've been hearing that for 2 years . On the bright side when I get to Iraq in June there should be one hell of a trail system  ;D
02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife

Eworm

Thanks for the warning! Hopefully one day we will UNITE and really bring this issue to a stop!

vspec1

Thats why my quads are going up for sale, I hope there is still a market for them? I'm just glad I bought two KTM's and plated them. At least now I can ride all the numbered roads, and ride at night for that matter. Quads will soon be a thing of the past out there.  :'(
2006 Brute Force 750
2005 YFZ 450
2006 Honda Rincon
2006 Honda TRX 90
2005 Predator 50
2006 KTM 525 exc

Bigscrb15

They can do whatever they want. The federal government and state won't get my money. I will continue to goto Georgia to ride. Too many states allow us to have fun to waste my time with Ocala.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

stacktester

I agree Scrub15. I'm sick of the $h!t in ONF. I loved ONF for a while but now it just sucks. If you make one wrong move a ranger comes after you. I will be making 3-4 Durhamtown trips a year.
Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com