Black Bear Corridor

Started by Stewards, March 27, 2007, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewards

Hi Everyone:

I have been to quite a few black bear corridor meetings - interesting I must say. The last meeting there was a wildlife biologist there to speak to us regarding common types of wildlife structures. What seems to be happening is when the FDOT widens SR 40 the USFS says there will be a problem with wildlife getting killed due to the increased traffic, especially the black bear. When FDOT and the committee widen SR 40 they are looking at placing between 20 - 35 structures for wildlife crossing. Structures could mean concrete walls, bridges, both land and bridges that span, fencing both electric and invisible. What they are trying to do is get the animal into a culvert under the road, or on a land bridge over the road, by fencing the area off.

The specialist seemed to like the idea of either invisible fencing or electric fencing. The electric fence idea is to me crazy -- I don't even use that on my dog.

Just some information for you.

lisa

  Hey Stewards, I came in late at the meeting. There were a couple of new faces there that I hadn't seen before, care to let me know which one you were?

  I posted my thoughts on this wildlife crossings under ATV Activist forum for anyone who wants to see my thoughts on it.... >:(
In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1904

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com