Diesel advice needed

Started by trx#9, January 21, 2007, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigscrb15

Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on January 22, 2007, 09:50:15 PM
Quote from: Bigscrb15 on January 22, 2007, 01:34:23 PM
Quote from: foreman1 on January 21, 2007, 10:36:04 PM
Avoid any fuel boxes/chips etc.
Those trucks have more than enough  power to pull any trailer you hook to it.
Airfilters ,large exhaust are about all i would do .

Some warranties have been voided because of fuel boxes , be cautious.


I agree, and all I am probably going to do to my truck if I keep it is intake and exhaust. I posted all the other info because this guy wants to mod his truck and make it faster. I tow a 12k pound trailer so I don't need all that power to rip my transmission off.

If SOMEONE ever finds me a new truck I may mod it.



How about an S-10 4cyl stick?
Im only towing a toy hauler, not a semi trailer, find me somethin a lil smaller so i can at least get around town.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

trx#9

Whats the purpose of starting fluid. :-\
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

duroc825

Quote from: trx#9 on January 22, 2007, 10:11:21 PM
Whats the purpose of starting fluid. :-\
Uhh? like maybe to try "starting" the engine when it has run out of fuel?????

Bigscrb15

Quote from: duroc825 on January 23, 2007, 09:26:56 AM
Quote from: trx#9 on January 22, 2007, 10:11:21 PM
Whats the purpose of starting fluid. :-\
Uhh? like maybe to try "starting" the engine when it has run out of fuel?????

It is also very useful to spray and light the stream on fire and then burn ant mounds with. I wouldn't recommend you try this though because the can can explode.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

MuddFreak77

Quote from: Bigscrb15 on January 23, 2007, 09:55:59 AM
It is also very useful to spray and light the stream on fire and then burn ant mounds with. I wouldn't recommend you try this though because the can can explode.

This is kinda like asking anyone if they have used the small propane bottles for target practice, cause they explode real good.....    LMAO       :o
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

Bigscrb15

Quote from: MuddFreak77 on January 23, 2007, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: Bigscrb15 on January 23, 2007, 09:55:59 AM
It is also very useful to spray and light the stream on fire and then burn ant mounds with. I wouldn't recommend you try this though because the can can explode.

This is kinda like asking anyone if they have used the small propane bottles for target practice, cause they explode real good.....    LMAO       :o

They don't always explode. Depends what gun you use. It lets you know if you hit it though.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

backinsaddle

my $0.02: if you make any mods to your truck, be prepared to be your own warranty station.  Whether you get the dealer to make repairs really depends on each dealer.  Some are sticklers, and if they see anything that looks suspicions, they will deny the claim.  In the dodge world, there is only one chip manufacture that's supposedly undetectible.  All other chips can be detected, regardless of what the manufacturer of the chip states.  It may take a manufacturer rep to come out and hook up a computer, but they can find it, EVEN IF YOU USE THE SETTINGS TO RESTORE BACK TO STOCK, AS MOST CHIPS HAVE.  More and more people are modding their diesels, and the dealers know what to look for, it just depends on how much they want to push back.

trx#9

Quote from: duroc825 on January 23, 2007, 09:26:56 AM
Quote from: trx#9 on January 22, 2007, 10:11:21 PM
Whats the purpose of starting fluid. :-\
Uhh? like maybe to try "starting" the engine when it has run out of fuel?????
duh! I didn't know if there was something else being done with it and who's dumb enough to run out of gas anyways. :N
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

Chillinthemost

Quote from: trx#9 on January 22, 2007, 10:11:21 PM
Whats the purpose of starting fluid. :-\
I thought it was for seating tire beads.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

bigscrub79

Quote from: trx#9 on January 22, 2007, 10:11:21 PM
Whats the purpose of starting fluid. :-\
If you ever do run outta fuel and are having trouble starting after priming the injectors, a real easy way is to take a rag with  gas and hold it in front of the breather. Once it starts pull it away, and then you dont have to worry about the starting fluid. Now i know this is not a factory recommended method but it work real well.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

duroc825

Quote from: trx#9 on January 23, 2007, 06:06:38 PM
Quote from: duroc825 on January 23, 2007, 09:26:56 AM
Quote from: trx#9 on January 22, 2007, 10:11:21 PM
Whats the purpose of starting fluid. :-\
Uhh? like maybe to try "starting" the engine when it has run out of fuel?????
duh! I didn't know if there was something else being done with it and who's dumb enough to run out of gas anyways. :N
Another good tip would be to NOT use "gas" in your diesel!
I"m not sure about Ford but the Cummins has a primer bulb by the fuel filter that works when ya run out of "fuel"

kuma

It all depends on what your dealer is like you have to get a feel for the dealer service manager. Just ask about it. I personally own a 2006 f350 powerstoke  with 12 inch lift, full air raid intake system, turboback 4 inch exhaust no cat turndown under truck by back axle, Bullydog Tridog system with outlookmointor, my local dealer services my truck a couple of the mechanics there own superduty trucks with all kinds of the same stuff I use. Not one word about it. You just have to use the computer systems with a little COMMON SENSE.........................................................................

[attachment deleted by admin]

trx#9

Quote from: kuma on January 24, 2007, 08:04:05 PM
It all depends on what your dealer is like you have to get a feel for the dealer service manager. Just ask about it. I personally own a 2006 f350 powerstoke  with 12 inch lift, full air raid intake system, turboback 4 inch exhaust no cat turndown under truck by back axle, Bullydog Tridog system with outlookmointor, my local dealer services my truck a couple of the mechanics there own superduty trucks with all kinds of the same stuff I use. Not one word about it. You just have to use the computer systems with a little COMMON SENSE.........................................................................
Superchips programing, is it any good? I see them on ebay for around 300 bucks. Nice truck!! ;D
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

kuma

try looking in www.dieselstop.com         homework

Chillinthemost

Quote from: kuma on January 24, 2007, 08:27:00 PM
try looking in www.dieselstop.com         homework

That is a Ford site, he has a Cheby. Try here.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

trx#9

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

blindkaeta

Eric, I have the duramax with the Edge Products tuner with the attitude.  www.edgeproducts.com  Its been on mine for 2 1/2 years with absolutely no problems.  I drive the crap out of it.  I did some research before
I got it and it's probably the safest chip for the tranny.     

Smoknbanshee

i would recommend a tranny valve body with any programmer.  no matter if your best friend has used a programmer for 20 years without trouble.  you never know.  also I would recommend custom tuned chips instead of off the shelf products.  air intake AFE, and exhaust.  Enjoy, I am a ford man, but love all diesels.  I just love RELIABLE diesel power in general.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

kuma

I personally would not use edge with attitude had it on my 04 ford powerstroke and edge's system does not do anything for the transmission but destroy it. The line pressure needs a piggyback system to operate right. But each his own.

The Quad FaJa

Quote from: Bigscrb15 on January 21, 2007, 11:34:33 PM
Just get a chip that is removeable and untraceable.
quess you dont know about OBD3  :'(

The Quad FaJa

Quote from: Chuck_Norris on January 22, 2007, 02:08:17 PM
Per Ford Motor Company:
Modifications to youR vehicle could result in Denial of warranty coverage by Ford Motor Company. Such modifications include but not limited to:
A. Suspension lifts
B. Performance chips & programers
C. Over size tires
D. Exhaust and intake systems
E. Alarm Systems
I even herd that installing after market radios are  going to No! No! ...

xr100racer

Crap...I got A,B,C, and D

But I have a question that Ive been wondering about for quite some time now - Can they deny a warranty claim for a vehicle that has had modifications but the part that went bad would be clearly unaffected by the modifications?    Such as.... Your starter goes out, could they deny the claim because your truck is lifted, with oversized tires, chip, etc

Bigscrb15

Quote from: The Quad FaJa on January 28, 2007, 11:21:50 AM
Quote from: Bigscrb15 on January 21, 2007, 11:34:33 PM
Just get a chip that is removeable and untraceable.
quess you dont know about OBD3  :'(

But its still under development, it is not on anyones truck right now so it doesnt matter. I will not a buy a vehicle with OBD3 if they stick with their current idea on it. OBD3 would have a radio transmitter that would relay your cars info(tied to your VIN number) to recievers along the higways. That is crazy.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

xr100racer

What? OBD3? Why would they need to transmit car's info?

Chillinthemost

Quote from: xr100racer on January 28, 2007, 11:37:51 AM
Crap...I got A,B,C, and D

But I have a question that Ive been wondering about for quite some time now - Can they deny a warranty claim for a vehicle that has had modifications but the part that went bad would be clearly unaffected by the modifications?    Such as.... Your starter goes out, could they deny the claim because your truck is lifted, with oversized tires, chip, etc
I would say that you wouldn't have a problem with a dealer warrantee on a starter because of a lift kit.  I also dont think it would break you even if you did have to buy a starter if they did deny you warrantee. Your problem is going to come when they deny you warrantee on your tranny because of your chip or melted pistons because of your chip and you get a $5000 to $10k repair bill to go along with your monthly payments.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com