Lets talk shocks...... racers input appreciated and everyone else too

Started by Old_School, January 18, 2007, 03:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old_School

Well I think I'm gonna finally bite the bullet and ditch my stock 17yr old shocks and get with the program. After 2 days of riding in ONF and 3 days later I can still feel some uncomfort in my lower back. Either that or I'm getting old.  ;) So what would be a good shock for the average joe that rides trails, pits, and is forced to go over whoops  :( Elka's, Works, etc? What would be the best and which is the best bang for buck. Again my land yacht is not a MX'r so keep that in mind. Anything is better than what is on there now. Thanks for the input. -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

klutchbuster400

I like my elkas alot, but you can only really appreciate them if you know your sh!t when it comes to shock adjusting just because they have so many settings.  I ride with my comp. all the way high, but thast mainly ecuase they are set about 30 pounds under my weight.I like pep alot, I would also look into axis. Stay away from works, I only like their triple rate with rezzie style.

TRX450R_Racer

Anything aftermarket will be a huge improvement. Works are good shocks for the money. You can get a set of AT Steelers without rezzies for the front for about $370. The rear will be a little more expensive.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Old_School

Are all the spring rates the same and they just adjust the damper based on rider weight? And do all of them generally have the same amount of travel. I just recently read that Works are not good. But why? Oh and should I look for ones with or without resevours?  -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

TRX450R_Racer

I raced 2 years on Works AT Steelers. No complaints here. The rezzies just keep the shock cooler so it won't fade. You don't really need them, but they would keep the oil cooler. There are different spring rates and different valving for your weight and riding style.

When you do get shocks don't buy them off the shelf. Make sure they are custom made to your weight and riding style. I would call Works and talk to them yourself and get some first hand information.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Old_School

Cool Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I might get Works for the bang for buck factor. I think it will be 10x better then my current shocks. 
-Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

TRX450R_Racer

Quote from: Old_School on January 18, 2007, 05:52:25 PM
Cool Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I might get Works for the bang for buck factor. I think it will be 10x better then my current shocks. 
-Mark

Your welcome.

You will be very happy with whatever you end up getting.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Mars

Quote from: Old_School on January 18, 2007, 05:52:25 PM
Cool Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I might get Works for the bang for buck factor. I think it will be 10x better then my current shocks. 
-Mark

I put Works triple-rate pro/remote rez front & rear on my 04 Z400. $1,500: it was worth it. There is nothing wrong with Works: they screw up once and a while on spring rates but I've herd Elka and others have had that issue too.
Anything off the shelf could fail. New does not mean good, new just means "Never, Ever, Worked". 
I'm sure Elkas are good if you ride at that level and need the adjusments. I'm just a 39 year old that likes to ride fast in the woods. I now find myself riding very fast. If I had 3k to spend on suspention I would not be riding a 3 year old Z400. ;)

Mario
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.

PREDOCROSS

Trx 450 Racer is right. I had Elka's, and know from talking with them that they will custom build shocks for just about anything.All they need is the proper info.Most important thing is taking the time to set up your shocks properly. Get your ride height set correctly and you will be amazed at how well your machine will handle. Its money well spent. 8)