no riding for how long?!?!?!!?!!!!!

Started by gearhead400, November 02, 2006, 05:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearhead400

I broke one of the worse bones in my body on sunday. Suprisingly, it's in my hand. I already forgot the name of it, but if it doesnt heal right, it could become a dead bone and cause me pain for the rest of my life...that sucks.

I did it landing a stepdown at an awesome secret location. All my weight went into my hand on the landing and it popped.

So now im in a cast up around the elbow for about 8 weeks, then at least another week to regain mobility in my thumb.

I dont know how im going to go 8 weeks  >:(
Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
   #14
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  [email]gearhead400ex@hotmail.com[/email]

JackL

Quote from: gearhead400 on November 02, 2006, 05:40:44 PM
I broke one of the worse bones in my body on sunday. Suprisingly, it's in my hand. I already forgot the name of it, but if it doesnt heal right, it could become a dead bone and cause me pain for the rest of my life...that sucks.

I did it landing a stepdown at an awesome secret location. All my weight went into my hand on the landing and it popped.

So now im in a cast up around the elbow for about 8 weeks, then at least another week to regain mobility in my thumb.

I dont know how im going to go 8 weeks  >:(

Years ago I broke what they told me was the navicular bone in my wrist from a 25 foot fall through a roof.
I see it has a new name now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphoid_bone

I had the stupid cast up to my shoulder for two months also. When it was removed I couldn't move my elbow for weeks, and to this day it still hurts sometimes.
The kicker, the bone didn't heal at all. After that, I got a fancy stick on bone growth stimulator that
didn't seem to do much either and months of physical therapy.
My wrist only goes back about 60% of what it did originally to this day. All in all, it made for a nice two years
off of work and a good chunk of change from workmans comp.
I would have skipped the cast if I knew how it would end. Good luck, and be careful when sticking coat hangers in there.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

1FasterBlaster

That sucks bro.I thought I would never ride after severing two nerves in my thumb.Physical therapy, and a thumb throttle assist helped me.Be patient is the key!!

Chuck_Norris

sorry about your bad luck, recovery from a broken collar bone was enough for me. So that means you might just need  someone to fill it for you at that secret location then huh ;)

dnigels

I was thinking the same thing!

We could start a club..."The scaphoid gang"
'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 [url="//ext.cab"]Ext.cab[/url]

JackL

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Mrs.Nightbreed

Quote from: gearhead400 on November 02, 2006, 05:40:44 PM
So now im in a cast up around the elbow for about 8 weeks, then at least another week to regain mobility in my thumb.

I dont know how im going to go 8 weeks  >:(

1. It will take more than a week to get mobility back after 8 in a cast. You won't just have to get your thumb mobil again, you will have to et your whole arm mobile again. All you tendens and muscles will be extrememly stiff for a LONG time.

2. "8 weeks" and you are crying????   I haven't been on a quad in 14 weeks and still don't know when or if I can ride again on a track. It could be a whole YEAR! I still can't turn my wrist and lay my hand flat, palm up (like to put your hand out for oney - lol)The best I have done was ride a 150cc quad in the field next to the shop for 5 minutes.

I know 8 weeks SUCKS but while your thinking about it, just remember it could be a lot worse. Do everything the doc says and DONT try to ride too soon.

CABLEGUY1

Mellissa,I sent you a few PMs and also sent you a message in a thread you posted in a couple weeks ago just in case your message box was full and you couldn't recieve my PMs. All I want to know is if my wifes bike is fixed yet? It's been about three months now and she's losing interest fast which sucks for me. Sorry Gearhead for hijacking your post.

Mrs.Nightbreed

Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on November 05, 2006, 10:46:40 AM
Mellissa,I sent you a few PMs and also sent you a message in a thread you posted in a couple weeks ago just in case your message box was full and you couldn't recieve my PMs. All I want to know is if my wifes bike is fixed yet? It's been about three months now and she's losing interest fast which sucks for me. Sorry Gearhead for hijacking your post.
Your inbox is full! Empty it and you will get my reply or you could just call the shop....


CABLEGUY1

I deleted some about a week ago making room but have gotten a few since then which filled it up again but I just deleted some more and logged out and back in and still don't see a message from you? Not sure whats wrong? You can tell me on here though. Or call my cell or my house. Is it ready? Thanks.

T2

Dame Bro that sucks, sorry to hear that, hope for a speedy recovery, so we can get back to Ocala Hardrock again.  ;D
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lakemarykid/tonyy.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lakemarykid/tonyy.jpg[/url]

gearhead400

Quote from: Mrs.Nightbreed on November 05, 2006, 10:16:22 AM
Quote from: gearhead400 on November 02, 2006, 05:40:44 PM
So now im in a cast up around the elbow for about 8 weeks, then at least another week to regain mobility in my thumb.

I dont know how im going to go 8 weeks  >:(

1. It will take more than a week to get mobility back after 8 in a cast. You won't just have to get your thumb mobil again, you will have to et your whole arm mobile again. All you tendens and muscles will be extrememly stiff for a LONG time.

2. "8 weeks" and you are crying????   I haven't been on a quad in 14 weeks and still don't know when or if I can ride again on a track. It could be a whole YEAR! I still can't turn my wrist and lay my hand flat, palm up (like to put your hand out for oney - lol)The best I have done was ride a 150cc quad in the field next to the shop for 5 minutes.

I know 8 weeks SUCKS but while your thinking about it, just remember it could be a lot worse. Do everything the doc says and DONT try to ride too soon.

sorry to hear that you are recovering from injuries too. Trust me, i know im lucky, i could of totally destroyed my wrist and needed surgery. or if i would have wrecked theres an endless list of what could of gone wrong.

i am still young though so i think i will heal up fine. the break is perfectly aligned so i should be alright.

i'll be out there asap t2, goin bigger than ever!

thanks for the posts everyone!
Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
   #14
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  [email]gearhead400ex@hotmail.com[/email]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com