BLACK WIDOW SHOCKS

Started by rancher4lyfe, October 03, 2006, 08:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rancher4lyfe

I SEE ADS ABOUT THEM ALL THE TIME BUT NEVER SEE ANYONE WITH THEM. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEYRE ANY GOOD? :o
LTR450 YELLOW WITH C-BOMB,PRO TAPERS AND NERF BARS .RANCHER 350 26"GATORS ON ITP RIMS
2003 DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB WITH EXHAUST

PREDOCROSS

I've never used them, but have Elka's on my Pred, and they are like magic!

o4250


digginfool

I just finished doing a ton of research for my son's quad.  I talked to quite a few people and the general consensus was this:

If you know what you're doing, go with the Black Widows.  They are 4 way adjustable which makes them too complicated for the general user.  If you know how to truly set up a shock, the Black Widow is a far better shock than anything else out there.  Otherwise, go with Elka.  Now that was advice I received for a particular brand of racing mini quad but I would venture to say the advice would still fit for anything you might be riding.

When I was researching for my Raptor (I never considered the Black Widows), the consensus was that the Elka's were better if you were airing it out but  tended to be a bit harsh on stutter bumps.  TCS supposedly gives a better all around ride.  I went with the TCS long travel shocks with Laeger +2 a-arms.  I can't tell you how much better the Rappy handles with a quality suspension.  My only regret was not realizing how much wider the bike becomes in the woods with a few extra inches.  I'm actually looking for new rims with negative offset to narrow up the front end a bit.  Hopefully, if I go that route, I'll be able to dial back the compression enough to counteract the decrease in leverage.  Bottom line is that unless you are really serious and have the time to setup high and low speed compression and rebound properly, go with a less complicated shock.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

rancher4lyfe

LTR450 YELLOW WITH C-BOMB,PRO TAPERS AND NERF BARS .RANCHER 350 26"GATORS ON ITP RIMS
2003 DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB WITH EXHAUST

Exmx54


53yfz450

stick to stock or get something else ;)
WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  [url="HTTP://gandgracing.com"]HTTP://gandgracing.com[/url] CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

[url="http://myspace.com/jakegunn53"]http://myspace.com/jakegunn53[/url]

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.

Mrs.Nightbreed

I guess anything is better than stock, but IMO Works are the garage sale version of aftermarket shocks. If I was building a quad on a tight budget, I would look for quality used shocks before I bought them. For the price of those Black Widows, you can get Fox Shox or any other reputable brand.

digginfool

Keep in mind, guys, there are not a whole lot of shocks out there for the mini quads.  The basic premise holds:

Unless you are a serious racer, stick with a less complicated shock.  There are some great shocks available for a lot less than the Black Widows.  Most people will be perfectly happy with a shock that offers only compression adjustment.  Many of the better shocks offer both compression and rebound adjustment.  Damn few riders will ever touch their shocks, except with a soapy rag, after they install them.  So what's the point with a 4 way adjustable shock if you're only riding once a month?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Fox17

what would be a good shock for someone not wanting to take time to tweak them? an elka recreational shock? a fox shock? and how hard is it to adjust them to perfect?if it wasnt hard i wouldnt mind but i dont know?

PREDOCROSS

My Elka's are the sport and recreation series, rebound and compression damping,quad rate springs. Set up was simple. Set your ride height as directed, and use comp and rebound damping to fine tune them. If you are not going to take the time to learn how to properly tune your shocks, you will just be wasting your money.

Eric5555

[url="http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418"]http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418[/url]

2007 kx250f
2006 kx250f
2003 rm250

FOR SALE:
2003 rm250
-MESSAGE ME

Mars

Quote from: Exmx54 on October 04, 2006, 09:04:00 PM
Works shocks suck....

I have triple rates with rezies on a Z400 and I think they are great. Whats wrong with yours?
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.

Exmx54

Quote from: Mars on October 07, 2006, 09:33:55 PM
Quote from: Exmx54 on October 04, 2006, 09:04:00 PM
Works shocks suck....

I have triple rates with rezies on a Z400 and I think they are great. Whats wrong with yours?

Ride something else like Axis, Fox, or PEP and let me know how great the Works are

Mrs.Nightbreed

Quote from: Exmx54 on October 07, 2006, 09:36:23 PM
Quote from: Mars on October 07, 2006, 09:33:55 PM
Quote from: Exmx54 on October 04, 2006, 09:04:00 PM
Works shocks suck....

I have triple rates with rezies on a Z400 and I think they are great. Whats wrong with yours?

Ride something else like Axis, Fox, or PEP and let me know how great the Works are

EXmx54's point is that you really don't know what "better" is until you ride it. The first aftermarket shock I had was Elka. I thought they were the sh!t until I rode a quad set up for my weight with PEP's. I was shocked at how much "better" shocks can be.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com