400ex Vs 450r whats the difference

Started by cypressbuggy, June 18, 2006, 08:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypressbuggy

So can some one help me Iam not sure which way to go? I need someone that has ridden a 2005 or newer 400ex to tell me how much power difference there is compaired to the 450r, and if thereis a handling difference between the two bikes? iam going to buy one of them just not sure which one. I need some help. Any opions would be great.

wheelie_boy

well just from what people and magazines say, the 450r has a lot more power and handles a lot better. ive barely ridden a 450r so i dont personally know, but from what people say the 450 is alot better.
05 kx 250f

UncleRico

I ride a 450r and I ride with two guys who have the 400's.....


You'd be much better off with the 450r. It has better suspension,  better handling, more power, more top end.

The only reason I could think of going with the 400, is if it's strictly an economical decision. Obviously you can pick up the 400 for less money. 
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Inyourdraft2000

Theother economical factor is the gas mileage, 400 is better on gas.
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Lalapops/association_sig_banner.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Lalapops/association_sig_banner.jpg[/url]
"No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care"
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25960.0.html#lastPost"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25960.0.html#lastPost[/url]<<4SALE>>>

klutchbuster400


Ida_Mann

also depends on what you are gonna use it for,,,,I know someone here who had the cash and the opportunity to buy both, but went with the 400 because he liked the feel of it better,,,,,and he's a trails/track guy.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Toomey

The 400ex does have a very comfortable feeling to it, I've sat on a stock 450R and rode dreth's 450R which is very wide, I obviously felt much more comfortable on our 400ex than with the 10 minutes of seat time on the 450R.
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

Ida_Mann

but sir Dreth has them Elka's,,,,shoulda helped the feel of it tremendously.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

PLAYBOY_400

i have an 05 400ex and i love it. it is a great bike. works fine for me but it all depends on what your going to do with it. my 400 is very fast and i wouldnt know where it stands next to a 450r yet. havnt had that chance. of course the 450 is going to be faster  its made to be a race bike. but i am very happy with the 400.
2005 400EX. FULL DMC AFTERBURNER, STAGE 2 DYNO JETS, WHITE BROS REV. BOX, SPROCKETS, K&N FILTER. KEEPS UP FOR A LIL BIKE...SUCKS GAS AND HAULS A$$. IM ALSO THE PARTS GUY YOU NEED TO TALK TO FOR ALL YOUR FORKLIFT AND MACHINE NEEDS. [email]RICKY@MRLIFT.COM[/email]

MachineDog

I'm going to say this a competition of reverse vs. no reverse and powerbands. Some would rather have a smooth powerband for trail riding than a powerband that skyrockets at higher RPM.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

Fox17

Quote from: PLAYBOY_400 on June 19, 2006, 12:40:14 PM
i have an 05 400ex and i love it. it is a great bike. works fine for me but it all depends on what your going to do with it. my 400 is very fast and i wouldnt know where it stands next to a 450r yet. havnt had that chance. of course the 450 is going to be faster  its made to be a race bike. but i am very happy with the 400.




does a 400ex have the power to just stand up when you hit the gas?

PLAYBOY_400

MINE DOES AND I HAVE IT GEARED FOR TOP END. HAS ALOT OF POWER
2005 400EX. FULL DMC AFTERBURNER, STAGE 2 DYNO JETS, WHITE BROS REV. BOX, SPROCKETS, K&N FILTER. KEEPS UP FOR A LIL BIKE...SUCKS GAS AND HAULS A$$. IM ALSO THE PARTS GUY YOU NEED TO TALK TO FOR ALL YOUR FORKLIFT AND MACHINE NEEDS. [email]RICKY@MRLIFT.COM[/email]

Fox17

Quote from: PLAYBOY_400 on June 19, 2006, 05:20:36 PM
MINE DOES AND I HAVE IT GEARED FOR TOP END. HAS ALOT OF POWER


cool. thanx. were lookin at them and dont no weathet to get the 400 or 450 either.

PLAYBOY_400

OK. NO PROBLEM. IT REALLY ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR GOING TO DO WITH IT. IF ITS NORMAL RIDDING WHEN YOU WANT TO GET ON IN A LIL BIT AND KEEP UP WITH EVERYONE THEM GET THE 400. BUT FOR EVERYDAY RACING AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF I SAY GO WITH THE 450. THE NEW 450 OFFERS AN ELECTRIC START MODEL.
2005 400EX. FULL DMC AFTERBURNER, STAGE 2 DYNO JETS, WHITE BROS REV. BOX, SPROCKETS, K&N FILTER. KEEPS UP FOR A LIL BIKE...SUCKS GAS AND HAULS A$$. IM ALSO THE PARTS GUY YOU NEED TO TALK TO FOR ALL YOUR FORKLIFT AND MACHINE NEEDS. [email]RICKY@MRLIFT.COM[/email]

eldiablo64

about $800 give or take lmao just kiddin
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

Toomey

Quote from: Ida_Mann on June 19, 2006, 12:18:09 PM
but sir Dreth has them Elka's,,,,shoulda helped the feel of it tremendously.

Id@

Nah, it handled like it was on rails, I just wasn't used to the feel of it.  It was really a nice ride though.
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com