Shifting

Started by MadMudder, May 30, 2006, 02:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite way to shift.

Automatic
Manual with auto clutch
Manual with manual clutch
The Honda d1 d2
Hondamatic
Doesnt matter to me

MadMudder

Ok I personally with #2 but I wanted to see how you guys felt. Nowadays since the cvt's came out i didnt know if you guys liked them better than the manuals. By the way, the honda wierd honda thing was that d1 d2 stuff that was supposted to work like a car's trans.. It isnt the electric shift.  Now this doesn't have to be what you use now. Just what you perfer.
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Alba450

Manual with manual clutch for me. 8)
Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"

MachineDog

First of all, There's two types of ATV CVTs out there, regular belt driven ones which take a rubber/kevlar belt and take two pyrimid cylinder things which the belt is mounted around. As they change where the belt is positioned on these the ratio changes, so the gearing changes. The basic thing about this is that it creates an infinite number of ratios between a set maximum and minimum. Which means the engine can be kept in a complete optimum RPM range. There's also the Hondamatic using the same CVT (Continously Variable Transmision) idea, but using a differant design that eliminates belts and belt slipping if water gets in there. THey don't use D1 and D2 i think anymore, just Low and High. Which is the same thing. Then there's the Honda Rincon, with that automobile type torque converter. The torque coverter is two turbines sitting in hydraulic fluid. One turbine is attached to the 680cc engine, the other to the 3-speed tranny. What a torque converter is good at is allowing the engine to "slip" while the brakes are on without using a clutch so no clutch engagement, and the awesome low-end torque cause by when the turbine connected to the engine starts moving upto 3 times as fast as the tranny. Making for 3 times the torque at low-speed. What sucks is at higher speed when the engine has to try and keep up with the tranny, so no speed from this machine. Personally I like the Hondamatic the best, second would be a five speed auto/manual clutch doesn't really matter. And that's my 2c.. and it's 4 AM.. I can't sleep. G'Night.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

Ida_Mann

depends on the type of riding and the terrain,,,,,on my 400EX I prefer it the way it is,,,manual,,,,on the Rubicon if I'm just cruising,,,,Hondamatic, if I'm climbing or doing something technical,,,,,then manual selection of gears is what I want.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

MachineDog

That's the other cool thing about the Hondamatic, you can put it in ES mode.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

klutchbuster400


VForcedave

Like everyone here, I have ridden all manual shift stuff forever. Then I rode the VForce with the automatic. I know everything has a purpose, but visualize competing and not having to shift. Downshifting going into a turn, upshifting to get enough speed before the next jump. You don't realize how much more energy it takes to do that. I am hooked on it. I will never go back to a manual shift machine. My 48 years may have something to do with that as well. I like to roost everywhere I go, with out a single shift.
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

MadMudder

Thanks for clearing up the transmission thing MachineDog. I changed the options.
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Fox17

perfer manual with manual clutch but manual with auto clutch is ok on a ute. no full auto or push button for me.

05greengriz

Auto all the way!!!
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

backinsaddle

I agree with VForce, the less you have to do, the less work it is.  I have a recluse clutch in my yfz, and i'll never go back to manual clutch.  I can lock up the brakes and it won't stall, I can tap the brakes in mid air without having to use the clutch.  out of the gate, keep it in 2nd, get on the throttle and hold on, you just can't stall the machine...one of the best investments I made

MadMudder

I know me too. I can see wanting a clutch on a racetrack. Cause you can go into a turn and keep the revs up without going faster. Other then that they are more of a pain in the @** then useful to me. Espically when your trail riding.
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

KAMSVCS

Quote from: VForcedave on May 30, 2006, 07:57:27 PM
Like everyone here, I have ridden all manual shift stuff forever. Then I rode the VForce with the automatic. I know everything has a purpose, but visualize competing and not having to shift. Downshifting going into a turn, upshifting to get enough speed before the next jump. You don't realize how much more energy it takes to do that. I am hooked on it. I will never go back to a manual shift machine. My 48 years may have something to do with that as well. I like to roost everywhere I go, with out a single shift.

I agree 100%, I almost bought a Raptor but went with the KFX 700 instead.  Best move I ever made.  I am always in the right gear!!!

Chillinthemost

Its simple... if you are a girl, get an auto. If you are a man get a  :drive.gif.
 
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

qt314nfla

Quote from: Chillinthemost on May 31, 2006, 01:20:09 AM
Its simple... if you are a girl, get an auto. If you are a man get a  :drive.gif.
 
Um let's see what to say about that....HMMMM?  :-* my :M ! >:(

Ok so I may never ride like you but an automatic?  I think not.

Chillinthemost

QT, neither nor quad or your truck have a clutch :-*
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

kfx400rob

i think it has alot to do with the bike its on, on a sport, manual with manuel clutch is the best, for utes,either or is fine with me, however i dont like the idea of the push button shift...
06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.

qt314nfla

Quote from: Chillinthemost on May 31, 2006, 01:49:23 AM
QT, neither nor quad or your truck have a clutch :-*
The quad has a shifter and when I get the z400 to add to my collection it will have clutch and shifter.  I was just messin' w/ ya chillin' I couldn't hold back. ;D

MachineDog

Quote from: kfx400rob on May 31, 2006, 01:51:45 AM
i think it has alot to do with the bike its on, on a sport, manual with manuel clutch is the best, for utes,either or is fine with me, however i dont like the idea of the push button shift...

Actually, the push button is alot easier than foot shifting on a ute. Leaves your foot free to control the quad and not your gearing, and reduces fatigue on long-throw shifters. I know this cause I drove an ES for a year and half and now am driving a foot-shift cause we couldn't afford an ES. It's basically normal tranny and everything, just buttons instead of foot-lever.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

MOKAS

i like my atvs with a manual clutch and my cars with auto.

-mokas-
MIKEMOKAS

'06 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI,
2in front
Highlifter clutched
Highlifter reduced

'02 Sportsman 500HO -Traded-
2in front
26in PXT Take-Offs

00 Yamaha Blaster 67.75mm Wiseco Piston, and a couple other things... Gone but not forgotten..

'96 trail boss 250.. Gone and forgotten.