Do Not Hit The Rear Brake When--

Started by VForcedave, May 23, 2006, 09:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VForcedave

I happened to have my Vforce (500Lbs) flip backwords on top of me because a simple rookie mistake. We were riding in a dried out creek bottom at night and ran across a couple riders and one was stuck trying to Hill Climb straight up the side. He was hung up on a root. I offered to help him out but I needed to get above him first. I have never had a problem on any Hill climb with the Vtwin so I made a dead start climb up around him and I got hung up on something. No big deal. Had both brakes on, put in in reverse and gave the throttle a little bump. Next thing I knew I was going backwards at a higher rate than I wanted to so I grabbed the front and rear brakes and thats when the bike stopped dead, stood straight up in the air, I fell off backwards and watched it as it came crashing down on top of me. It was a slow motion type thing, no time to move out of the way. It took a moment to asses the damages on me, but found nothing broken. Sprained wrist, heavy contusion to the fore arm and a direct hit from a handle bar into the rib cage. The women wear freaking out ready to call 911 and all I can say was " someone stand the bike up" as I was laying there wondering if I was riding out of there. I rode that thing home, checked it out and the reason it was not really messed up was it had a cushion to land on, ME. Remember, for some of you who will attempt those staright up climbs, if you do not make it, when you start your descent back down stay away from that rear brake, take your chances on a wild ride down backwards, it will be less painfull. Thats my weekend ride story.         
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

gery350

#1
oh man that sucks. one time i was attempting a hill climb and had my warrior floored in 3rd.(check out my sig, the hill was alot more steeper then that one)
well 80% of the way my warrior ran out of juice and iwas stuck about 50 feet up.
well my first reaction was to hit the brakes. well my front started coming over but ireacted quick enough and only used my front. but that sure is scary though getting stuck on a hill climb.
i'm glad to hear your ok.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

klutchbuster400

Quote from: gery350 on May 23, 2006, 09:45:01 AM
oh man that sucks. one time i was attempting a hill climb and had my warrior floored in 3rd.
well 80% of the way my warrior ran out of juice and iwas stuck about 50 feet up.
well my first reaction was to hit the brakes. well my front started coming over but ireacted quick enough and only used my front. but that sure is scary though getting stuck on a hill climb.
i'm glad to hear your ok.
i remeber hat hill, it was way more  then 50 feet pop.


sucks about the wreck, must be crappy to get hurt tryingto help someone else out

Ida_Mann

dontchya hate it when everything happens slow motion like that?

glad your'e OK bro.

doesn't matter how much I think about what to do, it matters what happens when I can't think fast enough ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Da_Mtg_Man

Glad to hear the damages weren't much worse.
I'm sure we all can relate, I did the same thing once and believe me, it won't happen again.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Honda328i

Glad to hear you are ok, those slo-mo's are the worst.  Best thing to do is get off the bike, and walk it down backwards while standing to one side.  That way if it gets away from you, you are already off the bike.
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

MachineDog

We almost rolled the arctic cat driving along a slope. Wasn't even that steep but it was scary cause it takes all of your strength just to keep the thing from rolling ontop of you, no such thing as sticking a foot out and pushing a little like on the smaller jap quads. Never had to really ride any hill climbs larger than 10 feet so we've never experianced anything like that. Good thing you're okay though, luckily it wasn't a bigger, heavier bike like the bf750.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

southernthing

dont feel bad i did the same thing at sand moutain about a month agowent up a trail it was a dead end over a cliff a  was roling back down ad grabed my rear brake ad it sucked  glad to



glad to hear your ok
blue,98 warrior with holeshots
white,06 z250
www.myspace.com/southernthing

Chuck_Norris


dreth

Quote from: Chuck_Norris on May 23, 2006, 05:15:39 PM
GLAD TO HEAR YOUR OK


my thoughts exactly. bet you dont make that mistake again ;)

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com