Ocala National forest- Trail System

Started by GrizzlyBear, May 04, 2006, 05:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyBear

As of May 4th.  We are now able to go ahead with the new trail system.  This is in the area North of Rt 316, East of 160th Ave. Rd and West of Hwy 19.

We have the posts in the ground and we will be starting to get them marked as quickly as possible.  Contracts are ready to be let for building the trailheads, providing maps and beginning maintenance. 

It will take time, but it is expected that this will be a first class area.  We had a field trip on Wednesday with 2 consultants from NHOVCC (and IndianJoe) and they both stated that this will be a great system.  I won't speak for IndianJoe, he will have to comment himself.

Now is when we are in need of volunterrs to become Trail Rangers.  Once the system and trailheads are in, we need 2 volunteers at each trailhead on Saturday's and Sunday's.  They will be there to answer questions at the trailhead and then to patrol the trails and provide help.  If you want to volunteer, let me know.

The Rodman Dam area is presently a sore point.  Originally, 6 years ago it did not show up in the original EIS.  The forest Service tried to include it, but environmentalist fought it and won.  There fear is that as it was originally a borrow pit for soil to build the dam, if they ever win the battle to have the dam removed, by letting the pit be used by ATV'ers, they will have a problem.  The Forest Service is trying to see if they can get an amendment to allow it to continue.

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

indianjoe

You are right Grizzly Bear, I enjoyed the section we rode on, I liked how it varied from open and then went to tight trails, I know you all have alot of work ahead of you. You have a great group of folks that volunteer with you. I hope some of the local clubs up that way step up and join your efforts and adopt parts of the trail....Good Luck..I hope to come visit you soon

AintSkeered

Griz, I appreciate your efforts and truly wish I could help to show my appreciation and have another excuse to ride. But, I live 4.5 hours away from ONF and, despite my ripe old age, I still have younger kids at home who are in organized sports, so I can't commit. Guys like you make it available for me and my family to enjoy!
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com