can some one tell me how a thread file works

Started by dreadhed, May 02, 2006, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadhed

I messed up the first couple of threads on a couple of 350x cranks.  I was told to use a thread file, but I have never used one.  If anyone can help me I would appericat it.  Here is a link to the file.  http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=1149&store=snapon-store
Thanks
Gabe

Old_School

I'd never seen those before but whenever I strip our cross thread a few threads I get a tap the same size and carefully re-tap it to open the threads back up. I would imagine that thing your looking at has the same affect. -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

dreadhed

Ok I found out what it is for.  It is for male threads.  I was told that they are easy to use & must have for the shop.  I am going to order a set to fix a axle on a Big Red that I am redoing.

atvtrailer

#3
They straighten and restore threads instead of cutting new ones, which in some cases u dont have much extra to cut new threads with.

When you run the file back and forth across the threads it straightens them and cleans out anything in the threads and dont take off any metal like a tap would.

they do help out alot and work good, they are quick and easy to use, we got a set in our shop at school and they are very helpful
05 450r #13B

gery350

ive never used one but cant imagine how to fix a thread with it.
i see hte grooves on it but how do you go about going around the thread and straightenin it.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

atvtrailer

#5
Quote from: gery350 on May 02, 2006, 07:48:47 PM
ive never used one but cant imagine how to fix a thread with it.
i see hte grooves on it but how do you go about going around the thread and straightenin it.

you just file it around the bolt or stud, the file is cut for the size threads you are using, so u just file it straight and it cleans and corrects any messed up threads, probly easier to see one used than try and explain it, even know its pretty simple

id rather use them than a tap if i can help it  because they are alot easier to use, and they are quick
05 450r #13B

gery350

Quote from: atvtrailer on May 02, 2006, 07:52:16 PM
Quote from: gery350 on May 02, 2006, 07:48:47 PM
ive never used one but cant imagine how to fix a thread with it.
i see hte grooves on it but how do you go about going around the thread and straightenin it.

you just file it around the bolt or stud, the file is cut for the size threads you are using, so u just file it straight and it cleans and corrects any messed up threads, probly easier to see one used than try and explain it, even know its pretty simple

id rather use them than a tap if i can help it  because they are alot easier to use, and they are quick

oh ok .
i think i got it.
thanks.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

dreadhed

Thanks for the info.  I wish I could use them on female threads.  I was told to use a file over a tap if possible by some one else too.