GPS - What to buy

Started by FLSnake, January 17, 2005, 11:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLSnake

Anyone have a suggestion on a GPS for a novice, if I go buy one do I need to get additional software/maps to make it work? Or will it work out of the box?
I just want to go and be able to find my way back  ;D

Thanks
2003 LTZ-400
2003 Prairie 360
2002 TrailBlazer 250
2005 Ford F-250 Crew 4X4 Turbo Diesel
1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4
1990 Mustang 5.0 Modified
1-Wife, 3-Kids, 1-Dogs, 2-Cats

sk8r_dude

Depends on your budget. With GPS's you get what you pay for. I have a Magallen Sport Track Map, inexpensive and easy to carry. It will get you there and back but thats it. Very bare bones. I also have a Garmin 276 color GPS with 128 MB card and map source software and it is the bomb. Best GPS I have used for our use in the woods. I call it my adult Game Boy.
05 Grizzly 660, 2500 winch, Garmin 276c GPS, Quad Boss trunk

05 Grizzly 660 Camo, 2500 winch, Quad Boss trunk 

[url="http://www.beachinlineskates.com/"]http://www.beachinlineskates.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.123skate.com/"]http://www.123skate.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/"]http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/[/url]
[url="http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com"]http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com[/url]

FLSnake

What did you have to spend for those?
2003 LTZ-400
2003 Prairie 360
2002 TrailBlazer 250
2005 Ford F-250 Crew 4X4 Turbo Diesel
1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4
1990 Mustang 5.0 Modified
1-Wife, 3-Kids, 1-Dogs, 2-Cats

allgirls4outdoors

its funny till someone gets hurt then it's hallarious!!!!

atvtrailer

i have a 99$ gps from walmart and it will work to get u back from where u started but it dont give u detailed maps or anything. but if u need it to get u back it will get u back to where u started or get u to a waypoint
05 450r #13B

Chuck_Norris

I BOUGHT AN OLDER MAGELLAN GPS FROM EBAY FOR 36$ I HAVE NOT GOTTEN LOST YET.

Redgrizzly660

#6
a big ball of string works well too. when you want to come back just follow the string back to where you started. Just take it out of the roll and ready to go no need to buy any software.No battery or electric needed. Need more track buy two roll of string and double your memory.

The Grizz


eric

#7
Garmin seems to be a good brand. I was looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 76 With Carrying Case

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3404825

chadlogan112

I have the one below for sale. It's brand new practically, I set it up then put in my drawer. I have the directions and maybe the box. PM me with offers. Thanks

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-1/qid=1106017192/ref=sr_2_1/602-1963734-4287857?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0002VQ3TE

Moose

I got the Garmin 76c. Has maping in color, 125mb memory built in. New display that uses the sunlight so it's easier to see than most. With the Topo map, it shows almost all the trails, atv, jeep, and roads. I love it, runs 30hrs on two aa batteries.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

IT200

I have a garmin rino it works great It also has abuilt in gmrs/frs radio. When you communicate with other rino users you can see there position on your screen. Great if you have kids
Polaris 500 4x4
Yamaha Warrior
Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4
Suzuki DRZ 400

2Raptors

Quotea big ball of string works well too. when you want to come back just follow the string back to where you started. Just take it out of the roll and ready to go no need to buy any software.No battery or electric needed. Need more track buy two roll of string and double your memory.

The Grizz

Plus you 'clothes-line' anyone that crosses your path [smiley=Wacko.gif] [smiley=Wacko.gif]

Hollywood

I have a Magellan Explorist 200. Pretty good little unit very simple, waterproof, shockproof etc. but bare bones. No detailed maps of the forest or such but works for what I need it to just get me back to the truck. You can find one new for around $125
'99 4??EX: Laeger +2's, Elka Resi's, Tag bars, AC ProPeg, Sparks X6 exhaust, G-Force axle, Burgard stem/carrier, 250r Hood, Klaw MXR's, ATP Racing engine, LSR, MSR, PEP and the list goes on.

'03 Honda 250EX: Yea it's decked out too!

'03 Yamaha Blaster: Work in pr

FLSnake

With the bare bone type units they will track your movement and get you back to where you started?
Will they allow you to enter coordinates and show you the way there?

I assume the ones that have mapping will allow you to download maps of areas like big scub, which would show you the trails, ponds etc? Do you have to purchase the maps seperately or do they come with?

Thanks

2003 LTZ-400
2003 Prairie 360
2002 TrailBlazer 250
2005 Ford F-250 Crew 4X4 Turbo Diesel
1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4
1990 Mustang 5.0 Modified
1-Wife, 3-Kids, 1-Dogs, 2-Cats

scrambledeggs

The cheapest mapping unit with memory for uploading maps from mapsource software is the eTrex legend. I just got one and like it very much. I also purchased a RAM handlebar mount with a cradle made just for the eTrex series GPS's.

customrubicon

I like the garmin 76c and the 276. I have been looking for one myself and have decided on the 276. The reason that I was looking at these is the memory and the color. Color gives you better definition of the roads and the trails. The 276 is expensive, so it may not be for everyone. My $.02
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg[/url]

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino

Moose

#16
I agree with you, both units are great. I wanted one that will fit in my pocket for hunting. I use it in my truck, boat, and atv also. I'm amazed at how easy the new units are to use. The older one I have is more confusing.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

FLSnake

QuoteI got the Garmin 76c. Has maping in color, 125mb memory built in. New display that uses the sunlight so it's easier to see than most. With the Topo map, it shows almost all the trails, atv, jeep, and roads. I love it, runs 30hrs on two aa batteries.


What map and/or software is the best?
2003 LTZ-400
2003 Prairie 360
2002 TrailBlazer 250
2005 Ford F-250 Crew 4X4 Turbo Diesel
1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4
1990 Mustang 5.0 Modified
1-Wife, 3-Kids, 1-Dogs, 2-Cats

Moose

Looks like a lot of us have map source for Garmin, and topo east US National forrests.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

FLSnake

Anyone got any comments on the eTrex Legend, I was looking at that one.
2003 LTZ-400
2003 Prairie 360
2002 TrailBlazer 250
2005 Ford F-250 Crew 4X4 Turbo Diesel
1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4
1990 Mustang 5.0 Modified
1-Wife, 3-Kids, 1-Dogs, 2-Cats

Moose

#20
The first gps I have bought since they came out with all the new ones, was one of those eTrex Legend I think. I liked it, was a blue one, It did the job as good as any of them will. I just wanted more out of it. You will get basic mapping, blk & wht only, but works well. Small screen though, my old one has also, so I got a larger unit. If you don't need to wear glasses yet, then you should do just fine with an eTrex.

Someone will have topo for you I'm sure.  ;)
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

FLSnake


Yeah I do wear glasses mostly for reading, i don't want to have to drag my glasses along with me to read it, what has a bigger screen?


QuoteThe first gps I have bought since they came out with all the new ones, was one of those eTrex Legend I think. I liked it, was a blue one, It did the job as good as any of them will. I just wanted more out of it. You will get basic mapping, blk & wht only, but works well. Small screen though, my old one has also, so I got a larger unit. If you don't need to wear glasses yet, then you should do just fine with an eTrex.

Someone will have topo for you I'm sure.  ;)
2003 LTZ-400
2003 Prairie 360
2002 TrailBlazer 250
2005 Ford F-250 Crew 4X4 Turbo Diesel
1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4
1990 Mustang 5.0 Modified
1-Wife, 3-Kids, 1-Dogs, 2-Cats

NPRVinson

Go to Garmin's website, they show all of there products and give specs on each one. I have a GPS76MAP and am very happy with it. It has the larger screen which helps as I wear readers too. It's like everything else, it just depends on how much money you want to spend.

FLSnake

Went out looking tonite and I think I have settled on the GPSMap76 Unit, which Map set would be the best for the Big Srub Area? Will it show the trails and stuff?
2003 LTZ-400
2003 Prairie 360
2002 TrailBlazer 250
2005 Ford F-250 Crew 4X4 Turbo Diesel
1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4
1990 Mustang 5.0 Modified
1-Wife, 3-Kids, 1-Dogs, 2-Cats

cobrap

A few of us use the rino also.  great radio locator and map functions.  also works with those 2 way walkie talkies from motorola.
07 Polaris Scrambler 500 w/ winch, 03 Trailblazer 400,
99 Yamaha Breeze 125
89 Jeep YJ - 33s", 4 1/2" Lift, 9.5 Winch
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor

big-daddy

before you guys spend more than you have to, wait! I am work out a deal to buy 1000 units and setting up as a Motocomm dealer. give me a few weeks to setup the account. I will post the unit on the web site.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com