Mechanical Question about Bombardier 400 (2004)

Started by DevoCorum, April 17, 2006, 07:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevoCorum

I'm having a "small" problem with my Bombardier 400 Outlander max 2004 - I start it up and let it warm up for a few minutes (usually like 5 - 7 minutes) then when I jump on and put it into drive...this is where the problems sometimes happen.  Sometimes it won't go into gear right away...like the machine will be in High Gear but when I hit the throttle it just revs up...and then sometimes it'll "Jump" into gear.  sometimes it won't go into gear and I'll have to push it while hitting the throttle to get it into gear.  But once its on gear there is no other problem...the only problem happens when I first start it up...any solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  thanks soo much...
2004 Bombardier Outlander 400

[url="http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/devocorum/mudsmall.jpg"]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/devocorum/mudsmall.jpg[/url]

Bush Hog

I don't know for sure, but I'd try changing the oil and see if that helps.

svtbolt04

The clutches might not be disengaging properly. If you use car sythetic oil.. That would be the main reason why they are sticking.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Alba450

I think im understanding your problem.  Warm it up for like 5 min.  Rev it up about 2-3 rev's than put it into gear and it should be running fine.  It's probably your Clutch plates sticking together and if you REV it up they'll dissengage.

Try it and tell us if you have any success ;D

Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"

DevoCorum

I have been using car synthetic oil for my last couple of oil changes...damn...i feel pretty stupid right now.  My next question is where can I buy the right oil...I have the Parts Number and the type (5w40), but can I buy this at a Autozone (or somewhere similiar)?  Thanks for all your help...hopefully the new oil will work...I'll keep you guys informed!
2004 Bombardier Outlander 400

[url="http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/devocorum/mudsmall.jpg"]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/devocorum/mudsmall.jpg[/url]

Alba450

Quote from: DevoCorum on April 25, 2006, 06:27:35 PM
I have been using car synthetic oil for my last couple of oil changes...d**n...i feel pretty stupid right now.  My next question is where can I buy the right oil...I have the Parts Number and the type (5w40), but can I buy this at a Autozone (or somewhere similiar)?  Thanks for all your help...hopefully the new oil will work...I'll keep you guys informed!

Oh you've been using the wrong oil huh :o

Go to a Dealer and they'll have some oil that you can buy! Remember use Motorcycle oil not automotive oil!!! 
Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"

DevoCorum

thanks...I hope that I haven't ruined anything, everything should be ok right?
2004 Bombardier Outlander 400

[url="http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/devocorum/mudsmall.jpg"]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/devocorum/mudsmall.jpg[/url]

Yamaha72

You won't ruin anything by using automobile synthetic oil in your quad, it will just cause you frustration.
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150

AintSkeered

#8
Since I bought my 03 Outy, I've been using Castrol GTX 10W-40 without issue! But, if you ever start losing coolant, check the plastic thermostat cover for hairline cracks. It's an $8 part. This plastic cover has a vent/bleeder screw which is very easily overtorqued and can crack. I keep a spare cover, just in case, and epoxied that screw hole permanently closed. It's easier to just pinch-off the hose clamp and remove the hose to vent, if need be. 
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group