Utility question

Started by mikeE36, February 01, 2006, 05:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeE36

I'm thinking about buying a utility. I want something that goes fast like 50 or 60. Does higher cc's mean more speed or more power. It sounds like a stupid question but I just want to make sure. I had a recon 250, i loved it but i want something faster.

Chuck_Norris


mikeE36


MachineDog

Most of the 800-class can go above 80. Thing about it is that the larger cc utes tend to be heavier so they end up being slower then their sport counterparts. But alot of them have a huge amount of low-end torque that the sport's don't have. A really cool thing is that alot of the big utes have Automatic CVTs now. According to what I hear if you want a speedy trail-type ute that can muscle through most of the mud you should get a suzuki. Brute force is great too, supposed to be pretty fast and agile. But if you end up not wanting speed go with an Arctic Cat for the second-to-none torque and high ground clearance. Anywho, what's wrong with speed on the Recon, I get mine upto around 55 on pavement. 50 on Sugarsand in a straight drag.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

yunt2ride

I have a Polaris 500Ho and love it. Top speed is 57mph, which is plenty fast on a quad that heavy. Does well in the mud, trails and whatever. Sounds like if you want speed you need to stay with a sport quad. If you kind of want the best of both worlds, Yamaha makes a pretty good sport/utilty 4WD quad. Yamaha wolverine. I think they even have a larger one out now.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

PLEDGER#76

I have a 700 v-twin suzuki twin-peaks and a yamaha 350 wolverine and love them both the suzuki is blazing fast and the woverine is fun in the trails, in my opinion either of these is a great quad!
1971 Honda CB350 and its mint
Honda TRX450R

Joedirt

Most bikes these days are very good....but the fastest I have seen are the ones that are Fuel Injected. All manufacturers I think make bikes with EFI..look into them first.
2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers

Moose

06 Honda Rincon would be my next quad.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

MuddFreak77

Moose,

     You will love the Rincon!!!   Mine will do anything I ask of it, just wish it had a low gear.

Freakk
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

bbf

brute force it  fast four a 4wd atv

DZ 350

the new forman 500 they go fast they have great pick up, they will tear through anything also they r like tanks! great power!!!
-05 raptor Alot of Stuff done to it ( FOR SALE !!!!! )

-98' CHEVY 4X4 SILVERADO W/ TO MUCH TO LIST !

-2007 RINCON 680 4X4 W/ WARN BUMPER, HMF PIPE, AND 26" OUTLAWS

-1987 Jeep Wrangler On 44" tractor Tires ( For Sale )

-2001 F-150 on 9" lift 36" TSL's (For Sale)

Kawa3

I love my cat, auto 650(V2) had it up to 64 and friend had it to like 71 i think he said. plenty of speed and power :D
2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700

MachineDog

Which reminds me, the arctic cat 500 we have has been to atleast 57 on pavement. I'd say that's pretty fast for 800 lbs + driver. ;D The Arctic Cat's are like tanks though and have absolutely no sporty feel to them. For a sporty feel I'd go with the Wolverines.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

GSPKurt

I have an '05 Eiger (Suzuki) 400 4x4 5 speed (automatic clutch). It has low range, and shows an indicated 52 mph on dirt. I sure wouldn't need any more top end, but I am an old man. I wish it was fuel injected, though. I am very happy with it.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

Truegrit

If you want sped and stabilty go with the Prairie 700 (or one of its clone) or the Rincon. The Rincon does not has the power of the Prairie's V-Twin but its fuel injected, IRS and possibly the best "trail bike" of all the Big Bores.


And I would love to see a 250 Recon do 50+mph. Was it in the back of your truck or on a trailer at the time???
'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

dirtyface

bombadier outlander 800: I have one and nothing has more power. It just needs a set of tires and it will go anywhere. ;)
06 Bomb Outlander 800 max xt
27 xtr  type 7 wheels
hmf pipe
08 Polaris Rzr 800

88 250r

MachineDog

Quote from: Truegrit on February 13, 2006, 02:02:53 AM
If you want sped and stabilty go with the Prairie 700 (or one of its clone) or the Rincon. The Rincon does not has the power of the Prairie's V-Twin but its fuel injected, IRS and possibly the best "trail bike" of all the Big Bores.


And I would love to see a 250 Recon do 50+mph. Was it in the back of your truck or on a trailer at the time???
Could be because I'm 100lbs.  2:L
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

2006YFZ450

BRP Outlander Rotax 800 Twin's

The Outlander is the most powerful Ute out ;)


Oh Yea EFI
'06 YFZ 450
'03 F150 SVT

[url="http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/2006YFZ450"]http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/2006YFZ450[/url]

Moose

Quote from: MuddFreak77 on February 01, 2006, 10:28:47 PM
Moose,

     You will love the Rincon!!!   Mine will do anything I ask of it, just wish it had a low gear.

Freakk

I have looked into the gearing problem, not low enough. There is a guy that makes gear reduction kits for the Rincon, 23% I think. I will get that if I ever get a Rincon. Have heard it's awesome after that.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

bruteforceski

outlander is the fastest, and probably the nicest bike on the market, however, i have had my bruteforce 650 up to 68 mph i weigh 260lbs  so thats plenty of speed for most. also gets through just about any muddy condition, outlander is very expensive and not that much faster than bf, and not any more sporty.

Mudneck

Ive got the 05 prairie 700's for my wife & I .I not petite either 6' 250 & my gets up 63 ish kinda almost to fast to look down on a dirt road.Hers shes had up to 66...For a 4x4 utility it has proven to be an agile responsive & powerful machine.Cant wait to put some mud tires on it.These are stock for now.I am very happy w/4x4 H & L range pulls all my stuff around yard real well in snady-muddy soil.Great Bike!
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

DevoCorum

I have an outty 400 and I've had it up to 63 mph (but I'm a 151 lbs soaking wet  ;D )  Anyways, I have no complaints with it...if you get into the 60 mph range on a UTE then you're doin pretty well...
2004 Bombardier Outlander 400

[url="http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/devocorum/mudsmall.jpg"]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/devocorum/mudsmall.jpg[/url]

MachineDog

Sounds pretty darn good seeing as my new rancher tops out at around 40 mph on a fast paced trail.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.