New SUV

Started by LakeMaryKid, May 01, 2006, 08:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LakeMaryKid

Ok well later on in the year, my mom will be getting a new car. She wants an SUV as she cant stand cars. Shes thinkin about somethin like an Explorer, Saturn Vue, Kia Sorrento, VW Tourage etc. Gas mileage is a virtue, so im looking for suggestions. We will be going out to test drive em all so when the time comes were ready. V6 is probably going to be where its at with the gas mileage. What do you suggest? Any experiences? Pros and Cons? Name any others i didnt mention also. It will be something with not too many miles on it also.

Thanks in advance, The Kid.
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

Honda328i

Not sure if she wants a small SUV or a mid-size??  If she wants a smaller one, look at the Honda CRV.  We had one 6 years and never had one bit of trouble with it.  It got 22-26 MPG.  Our friends have a Nissan X-terra and they love it.
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

Bigscrb15

The new Toyota Rav-4's are sweet lookin. Or the new FJ Cruiser
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

renmus

I know I can rely on my little XTerra

LakeMaryKid

What sort of MPG does an x-terra get? Steve how do you like your explorer? Whats the mileage on that? She will most likely want a mid size but open to anything.
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

backinsaddle

we have a 2000 explorer we've had since new.  so far it's been a decent vehicle, except the transmissions are crap...would i buy another one?  probably not

susieblazer



Lovin my Ford Escape................ ;D
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

Honda328i

Quote from: LakeMaryKid on May 01, 2006, 03:03:02 PM
What sort of MPG does an x-terra get? Steve how do you like your explorer? Whats the mileage on that? She will most likely want a mid size but open to anything.

LMK, the Explorer was completely re-designed for 2003.  It's primarily my wife's vehicle for hauling around the kids.  She loves it.  We got lots of space or 3 rows of seats, but the gas mileage is probably about 15-16, but you trade size for fuel economy. 

If I had to buy a vehicle this year it would not be a Ford (although I think they make the best trucks) because of their irresponsible and blatent support of the destruction of the traditional family  :gr.  I would probably lean towards Honda, Toyota or Nissan.
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

MachineDog

I've always liked jeeps. We got my mom a grand cherokee and it rules, 17mpg though the way my dad drives the V8. :( Looking at how everything goes if you want anymore than an average 20mpg you'll be looking at a car or something like a ford escape with the I4. From everything I've looked at the subaru is a nifty car with a V6, AWD, and it aced the crash tests. We didn't get it though cause our cousin just bought one. Try edmunds.com though, and even according to them the most comfortable small SUV is the Escape. Now if you want something bigger I'd say something like the Subaru, or maybe a RAV4. :/ My two cents.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

apkkfx400

My mom has a Saturn VUE and is loving it.  It's the V6 w/out AWD and definitely moves-it's quick.  Saturn is now using the Honda V6 and gas mileage around city she says is about 23-25.

My wife and I are thinking about a Ford Escape for her.  Same class as the VUE which she likes also, but I'm working for a Ford dealership which makes warranty, when needed, a lot easier to deal with.

Loven It

My mom just went from a Dodge Durango to the new Chevy Equinox and absoutely loves it !! Still an SUV but not as big as the Durango.   
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

MachineDog

Also forgot to mention. Jeep = AutoStick rules. Pick-up is great when it hits 4000-5000 rpm. Gas mileage at that range isn't very happy though. :(
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

WPBSMOKA

I owned a 97 Wrangler (crap) and my brother had a 94 Limited Grand Cherokee(crappy tansmission, and a few other things).  Don't know about the newer Explorers, but the more rounded body style is crap.  You mentioned not many miles, so I'm going to assume you're looking for used.  Don't know much about reliability, but I like the Montero Limited. I Love 4Runner Limiteds and Pathfinders.  Both should be good on gas.  As far as new.  Car and Driver says Exterra is the best. Grand Cherokee 2nd. Fj Cruiser 3rd. H3 4th.
'04 400ex, frequently bent handlebars, bent bumper, torn seat, rusty chain and some abused plastics



Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com