What causes whoops?

Started by budman, February 14, 2005, 12:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budman

What the heck causes whoops on the trails like at ONF?
[url="//www.rratv.net"]www.rratv.net[/url]


2005 F-150 4x4 (with NO mud on it)
2004 ATV trailer, 6' x 12'
34Qt Coleman cooler,
Case of Budweiser, "King Of Beers"
Several bungees.
00 Rancher 2x4 (mine)
05 Foreman 4x4 (not mine)
06 Recon (not mine)

Redgrizzly660

I see u change your cooler from a 36qt to 34 qt Did u get a new one

budman

QuoteI see u change your cooler from a 36qt to 34 qt Did u get a new one

The nosey Grizz pointed out my error in cooler size...hell, I was drunk when I typed that.... ;D
[url="//www.rratv.net"]www.rratv.net[/url]


2005 F-150 4x4 (with NO mud on it)
2004 ATV trailer, 6' x 12'
34Qt Coleman cooler,
Case of Budweiser, "King Of Beers"
Several bungees.
00 Rancher 2x4 (mine)
05 Foreman 4x4 (not mine)
06 Recon (not mine)

Mars

QuoteWhat the heck causes whoops on the trails like at ONF?

They start off as small soft spots. On foot they may never form a depression but the forces of a 500lb quad/bike etc. at speed pushes the dirt out of the soft spot going in and the rear tire lifts the dirt going out forming the "rim" if you will. The rim packs down on the cycle repeats over and over. As the rim get higher....more throttle more forces etc.....
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.

B-man

YZ 490  "Yellow Jacket"

prnstar123

QuoteMy YZ 490....lol   ;D
[smiley=Clap.gif] lmao
2005 yamaha yfz 450 (favorite toy)
2002 yamaha r1 (custom)
1999 Honda cbr 900 (stunt bike)
2004 Honda crf 50 (trick bike)

Ida_Mann

I'll go back and see if I can find what I found before.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Ida_Mann

good article about washboard roads which form the same way that whoops do, just with the much more lenient suspension that an ATV or motorcycle has as compared to a car.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF12/1291.html

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

scoobie

i`m renting a road grader to take to the power lines next weekend....lol
Scoob....

Redgrizzly660

While u have the grader can U get the trails near Lake Delancy too.

Grizz

bbf

thoses trails need  a grader bad