400ex CArburetor/fuel ?

Started by Inyourdraft2000, February 25, 2006, 11:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inyourdraft2000

Anyone here w/ a 400ex have a problem w/ the fuel dumping out of the overflow tube while riding or wheeliing.
If I stand the bike up and let it stand vertically the fuel just poors out.
I stood my buddies 400ex up and his had a small drip.
Today I stripped the bike down and carb and cleaned it out and checked the float valve to see if it was loaded up but it was all really clean inside. Put it back together hoping it was fixed and it still is dumping fuel. Does it need a be completely rebuilt or is it what I was told a 400ex carb flaw.... ???
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Lalapops/association_sig_banner.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Lalapops/association_sig_banner.jpg[/url]
"No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care"
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25960.0.html#lastPost"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25960.0.html#lastPost[/url]<<4SALE>>>

mrbones

There's no flaw in the 400ex carb. There's only three reasons gas comes out of the  overflow tube. 1. The float height is incorrect. 2. The valve seat needs to be replaced. 3. The float bowl drain screw is loose or worn. From what you've said, I'd check the float height.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

Ida_Mann

mine has always done that but only when I stand it on the rear grab bar,,,,all of the 400's I've known do it.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Inyourdraft2000

Thanks for the info, I may change the valve pin/seat. I looked over it and I dont remember seeing a way to adjsut the float height. Guess its back to the drawing board. 8)
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Lalapops/association_sig_banner.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Lalapops/association_sig_banner.jpg[/url]
"No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care"
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25960.0.html#lastPost"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25960.0.html#lastPost[/url]<<4SALE>>>

LakeMaryKid

All 400ex's will always do it. Always have always will. No way to fix it, if you plug it and you do do a wheelie or stand it up running it will cut off.
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

Chuck_Norris

this is pretty common, it  occurs on my YFZ if I ride a long wheelie.

mrbones

Yeah, I was referred the bike in a horzontal position, lol.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon