Where were you 20 years ago?

Started by Ida_Mann, January 29, 2006, 12:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eruption

I was in 10th grade English and the principle anounced it over the intercom crying.  That was all they showed on TV that day.

quadfizzle

I was sleeping from working the midnight shift. Got up and saw it on the news.

NPRVinson

I was on the roof of a building that was under construction. I had been married about a year.

dreth

i was finishing up a 20yr stretch in levinworth :dunno.gif

05greengriz

I was at a neighbors house. For some rreason we didn't have school and I was 9 yrs old.
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

cubnfrank

#30
I was in Ft Lauderdale, I was in  Techincal school, I was on my way back from lunch at McDonalds and I heard on the radio there was a problem with the launch. I get back to school and everybody is in the parking lot looking up at the sky. Then someone told me what happened. It was a clear cold day. You could see that smoke trail as clear as day from Ft. Lauderdale. It seems like the smoke trail in the stayed in the sky all day.
FTR #40 Retired
Polaris Sportsman 570 4x4
Honda TRX 450r
Suzuki Z400
Yamaha Banshee
Honda TRX 250

themensh

  I was stationed at Patrick Air Force Base (about 13 miles south of the Space Center). I was working the midnite shift at the 2179th Communications Center. I got off work about 6Am....went home and fell asleep on the couch. My Brother-in_law in Texas called me and told me that he had had a Son that morning...........and did I see the 'explosion?"
 I walked outside to see the now infamous plumes in the sky............
 A "response-crew" was hurridly formed.............and hours later, people were scouring the beaches for debris.  (A co-worker I knew found a 'glove').
  Challenger will remind us that there is danger in any undertaking.............
(and THEY were wearing HELMETS).

                        Chuck

Mrs.Nightbreed

I was in 1st grade sitting in the cafeteria for lunch. I didn't see it happen. I remember seeing the plume of smoke afterwards and I thought it was neat because it didn't look like the other shuttle trails. It had a ball in the middle then 2 trails. I didn't understand what happened until I got home and my mom explained it to me.

It was definately a sad day in our history  :'(

BCConviber

Well... I was bad,bad kid...    I was in 7th grade, and we had all assembled in the cafeteria to watch the launch on TV in good old Coral Springs. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I maid some kind of really bad comment about there being one less  teacher in the world.... And promptly got a butt whipping from pops and a week off of school.  :(
2007 660 Rhino Sport
2007 700 Grizzly, Realtree camo
**FMR FOR LIFE**

kawGIRL

Quote from: kawGIRL on January 29, 2006, 10:41:08 PM
I was loading some equipment in my van and remember looking up in the sky and saying " what the heck is that " I had forgotten the shuttle was going up. A matter of minutes later people were running around screaming and crying. Suzi was at work as well.

Jeff

While I was at work, we had a ritual of everyone to the same spot on the second floor to watch... I worked with a lot of engineering geeks, after the shuttle would go off we would all cheer and back to work.  So when the explosion happened we were all in shock and we spent the rest of the day analyzing the situation.  I do remember turning white as a sheet, some were in shock, some left work.  I had a hard time watching the next one take off  :'(
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

DCR_Marcus14

20 years...that would make me -2 years old.
Thanks to my sponsors:
Dana Creech Racing, Blingstar Industries, Monster Energy Drinks, ASV inventions, Utopia Optics, Alloy MX, Gaerne Boot Co., DP Brakes, Powermadd, Maxima, Atlantic Cycle Service

innocent_bystander

I too was 8 years old, I was in Mrs. Thompson's 2nd Grade Class. I remember another Teacher running over to our class and telling Mrs. Thompson something. She started crying. She told us what happened, and we watched the aftermath on TV.

Its funny how you can remember details of events like that. Ask me what i ate yesterday and I couldnt tell you. But I remember that and 9/11 down to a tee.
Life is all about @$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

Loven It

I was in 3rd grade in Cape Hatteras, NC. Home from school for some reason. We were sitting on the floor in front of the tv when it happened. I remember it like it was yesterday. Not sure if's it because of how upset my mom got or the images that they showed over and over again of the shuttle bursting into a big ball of fire. 

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

themensh

"I don't remember exactly what I said, but I made some kind of really bad comment about there being one less  teacher in the world.... "

  Funny how humer kicks in......I was stationed at the nearby Air Force Base........
the BIG joke the was "What does NASA stand for?   Need Another Seven Astronauts".
  Challenger was a terrible moment.....but peoples minds come up with weird crap.

Seabeejim

I was on my third deployment with the Navy in Sasebo, Japan and we got the news through AFARTS Radio and TV, and it was on my birthday.  Now 20 years later and 24 years later in the Navy I am getting ready to retire in June and have to get a new job.
XR 50 with stickers and mods

PaulyV500

I was fifteen years old, living in Bucks County Pa. I was at school in Klinger Middle School
in the ninth grade. I remember the announcement to turn on all tv's in the classrooms. We just sat there in silence and couldn't believe what had happened.  God Bless all those on the shuttle and thier families. i was riding a 1987 Suzuki Quad Sport 230 cc with reverse. It was blue and white and I bought the first one to arrive at bromleys, it was an early release in 1986.I rode that quad for many years and it never let me down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I also had a 1964 chevy 2 nova hard top I was working on so it would be ready when I got my license in May. I paid 500.00 for the car and 2400.00 for the 230. I had my priorities straight even back then.
2006 Bombardier Outlander 800 XT advantage timber
2007 Can AM Outlander 500 Max Red
2006 Can AM Outlander 400 Advantage Timber
Mickey Mouse ATV

enniehall

I recall being held by my ankles, getting my butt spanked and screaming...that sounds really traumatic.
Mud-It's like whiskey to a drunk or poker to a gambler.

Chuck_Norris

Quote from: enniehall on January 31, 2006, 08:09:00 PM
I recall being held by my ankles, getting my butt spanked and screaming...that sounds really traumatic.

Thats pretty good to remember that..

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: enniehall on January 31, 2006, 08:09:00 PM
I recall being held by my ankles, getting my butt spanked and screaming...that sounds really traumatic.
.
Me too but that was just a couple days ago.  :D
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

indianjoe

Me too but that was just a couple days ago. 


Was this while Moose was at the House????? Oh my I'm getting a visual ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

KB

i was in 3rd grade at bellamy elem. school. (town & country, tampa). whole school went outside to watch. i remember seeing it go up and then seeing it split into two seperate smoke trails. we thought everything was ok till we went inside and teachers were watching tv crying. to be honest, i forgot all about it till about 10 yrs ago, on way to work, bubba played audio tapes of astronauts last words on the radio. i think they were just released for public record at that time and thats why he played it. bubba wanted people to hear it cause nasa really tried covering that accident up. the company that made those boosters said dont launch, but each launch delay costs millions, nasa launched it anyway. if anybody hasn't heard the audio you need to find it on the net and listen to it. i promise you'll hate nasa after hearing those astronauts telling there loved ones by. somebody told me if they put as much money into the basic telescope that we would know the same info. as we know from the shuttle ?

SWAMP_DONKEY

10th Grade watching the launch @ Sebring High School standing by the new portables. 

NYRAPTOR

7th grade jr. high.  it was announced on the loud speaker during lunch. i was in grand ave jr high on long island, ny.

Hoosier Daddy

since it was my birthday, I stayed home from school. You could see it from the back porch. I was running inside to hear it and then back out side to see it. i was 12.
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

geektrx

i was 3 and peeing on the plants in my front yard
Yes, I do talk to myself, it is the only way I can have an intelligent conversation. There is a fine line between genius and insanity, and the only trait that separates the two is the amount of pay.

06 TRX
94 Kawi Bayou
91 Seadoo SP
91 Kawi TS