Where were you 20 years ago?

Started by Ida_Mann, January 29, 2006, 12:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ida_Mann

I was 8 years old and in second grade gifted class at Ferncreek Elementary school and our teacher let us go out to the teacher's parking lot to watch the launch once we saw it lift off from the pad on the TV in the classroom.

The only thing I knew at that age was that something had gone wrong and this was no fireworks show.

I know that the loss of 7 people seems insignifigant in light of the thousands lost on 9-11, but to me it still creates a lump in my throat to think of them.

I am a child of the 80's.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Chuck_Norris

#1
In High School Junior Year, riding my ATC 110  ;D
To be exact however, I was home sick from school and watched the horrible challenger shuttle explosion on TV. :(

MachineDog

[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

Southern4x4

not even a twinkle in my parents eyes
[><]Southern by the grace of God[><]

Da_Mtg_Man

I was a senior in High school, I was outside in the hallway during class (no I wasn't skipping) and looked up to see a ball of fire and smoke. I was in St.Petersburg which is all the way across the state.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Moose

I was reclined on my couch in Largo watching it on TV, had the day off work, talking to my girlfriend on the phone. At the moment she blew, I was just looking at the ceiling talking on the phone, missed the ball of fire. It had become routine, and she had made it pretty high up, so I as many others I'm sure thought all was well. A coworker of my girlfriend ran into her office and told her what happened, so I went outside to see it. I still can't believe it happened, and I saw it.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

bbf

i was living in ny and i back here again this sucks

Honda250ex

I was.... OH wait I wasn't even in a nut shell back then
'03 F-250 7.3L
Lawn Service 4Sale w/equipment!!
98% of all ATV'ers FLOOR their quads if your the 2% then your GGGGGGGGGGGGGG@@@@@@@@@@yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

bigscrub79

I was in 1st grade in GA. My teacher was one of the alternates if the lady that went didnt go. She freaked out, started crying, and had to go home.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Numkut

YZ250
Grizzly 660 (Dad/Moms ride)
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg"]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg[/url]

jwscroll

Unfortunatley my Great Grandmother joined the Challenger Crew, at the same moment of the accident she had a massive coronary in the doctors office.
We were out of school in Virginia for snow that day.
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

gery350

i guess i'm the old man of the bunch.
i was at my uncles shop doing what i do(did)-fix cars.(i miss those days)
we saw it on an old b/w tv we had.



hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

raptor426

20 years ago, I was chillin in my moms ovaries.  ;)  ;D
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r #26:AC grab bar, Alba Pro Elite nerfs, Uni filter, UM full body skid, AC swingarm skid, White Bros R4 slipon
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660:27" Mudlites, 12" C-series rims, 2500# winch
2003 Yamaha YZ426F:stock
2002 Honda Rancher:27"Mudlites
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

DZ 350

-05 raptor Alot of Stuff done to it ( FOR SALE !!!!! )

-98' CHEVY 4X4 SILVERADO W/ TO MUCH TO LIST !

-2007 RINCON 680 4X4 W/ WARN BUMPER, HMF PIPE, AND 26" OUTLAWS

-1987 Jeep Wrangler On 44" tractor Tires ( For Sale )

-2001 F-150 on 9" lift 36" TSL's (For Sale)

klutchbuster400

Quote from: gery350 on January 29, 2006, 03:36:15 PM
i guess i'm the old man of the bunch.
i was at my uncles shop doing what i do(did)-fix cars.(i miss those days)
we saw it on an old b/w tv we had.




that shop was cool, we have to go back soon to put my tires on their!



think you can repost this in about 20 years ida?

Sweet Z

2004 LTD Black and Yellow Z400 its FOR SALE

KSCFIRE

I was traveling east bound on SR528 heading to Merritt Island for some honey-do's. Watched the whole thing unfold through my windsheild. It truly was a bad day for the crew of Challenger , the workers and folks of the Space Coast and the USA. I was so bummed that I wouldn't look up to the sky for weeks. God Bless them all.
2004 Polaris 700 SP
26" Mud-Lites
3.0 Warn winch

My other ATV is a tank.

Honda328i

Can't be 20 years ago  ???  I was a junior in High school in New Mexico.  Happened to be in the library, and saw it on tv live.  They just played it over and over again, hoping that somehow they could see something emerge that would rest everyone's worst fears.  I will never forget that they said they went looking for survivors in the ocean, but everyone knew otherwise.  This was one of 3 times in my life I remember feeling the shock and horror.  The others being OK city and 9-11 of course. 

God indeed bless their families and we will not soon forget their courage and bravery in making America's space program #1.
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

klutchbuster400

Quote from: Honda328i on January 29, 2006, 06:47:32 PM
Can't be 20 years ago  ???  I was a junior in High school in New Mexico.  Happened to be in the library, and saw it on tv live.  They just played it over and over again, hoping that somehow they could see something emerge that would rest everyone's worst fears.  I will never forget that they said they went looking for survivors in the ocean, but everyone knew otherwise.  This was one of 3 times in my life I remember feeling the shock and horror.  The others being OK city and 9-11 of course. 

God indeed bless their families and we will not soon forget their courage and bravery in making America's space program #1.
what happened in "ok" city? where is it? what is it???? I never heard of it.

Honda328i

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on January 29, 2006, 07:38:49 PM

what happened in "ok" city? where is it? what is it???? I never heard of it.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

Dr.Dirt

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on January 29, 2006, 07:38:49 PM
Quote from: Honda328i on January 29, 2006, 06:47:32 PM
Can't be 20 years ago  ???  I was a junior in High school in New Mexico.  Happened to be in the library, and saw it on tv live.  They just played it over and over again, hoping that somehow they could see something emerge that would rest everyone's worst fears.  I will never forget that they said they went looking for survivors in the ocean, but everyone knew otherwise.  This was one of 3 times in my life I remember feeling the shock and horror.  The others being OK city and 9-11 of course. 

God indeed bless their families and we will not soon forget their courage and bravery in making America's space program #1.
what happened in "ok" city? where is it? what is it???? I never heard of it.

Some crazy guy bombed a govement building in Oklahoma city (AKA:The Oklahoma City bombings) and killed alot of people, the building also had a day-care center and alot of kids were killed as well.

Bo322

I drove a 20yd dump truck on my days off from the fire house. I was heading north on US 1 and pulled over to watch as the shuttle cleared the horizon. The morning was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky. The lauch was amazing, as usual, until it happened. I knew immediately that I had witnessed a terrible tragedy. I had seen every launch since the inception of the shuttle program so when I saw the giant explosion......I knew it wasn't good.

I stopped at a pay phone to call a buddy and he confirmed it. The shuttle had some type of major malfunction.


God bless the crew and families of space shuttle Challenger.

renmus

Was at work.  The guys had come to get me to go out to watch the sky to see the launch.  For the very first time I said no, that I really just didnt want to watch this time.  I am so glad I didn't.  As far as OK City, I understand one of the fellows has gotten out on parole.  The one who knew it was to take place, but did nothing to try to stop it.

kawGIRL

I was loading some equipment in my van and remember looking up in the sky and saying " what the heck is that " I had forgotten the shuttle was going up. A matter of minutes later people were running around screaming and crying. Suzi was at work as well.

Jeff
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

SkyHighT100

20 years ago I was almost two years old, running around the house in diapers, getting poisoned by my grandma for the first time (Never think blood pressure pills are candy), and sittin around soaking up the attention :) ahhh... life was good
The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list :)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/humrz28"]http://www.myspace.com/humrz28[/url]