Polaris trail boss is JUNK

Started by boomer33611, January 14, 2006, 01:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CABLEGUY1

Have an experienced welder striaighten the frame and weld a reinforcement type brace for future stumps. As soon as you admit the rider hit a stump you lose your argument with Polaris. They make no guarantees that you can hit anything without damaging your bike. The bottom line is the RIDER hit the stump. You can't prove or disprove you were only going 5 mph and they certainly will not call in CSI to investigate the accident. I've owned three Polaris ATVs and have friends with them and they swear by them. To say their junk is incorrect. Your frame may have a defect or it may simply be operater error. If you still feel strongly about it being junk let me know and out of sympathy I will give you $500.00 for the piece of crap. LOL.  Seriously though you may have to eat it and just repair it as best you can or buy a new frame. Go to ATV connection and go to the polaris section and see if there are any similar complaints and how they rectified the situation. Good luck.

Teej

Quoteframe that holds the steering stem bent and twisted.,

I have looked my 330 Trailboss over and over from all angles and I cannot see how this possibly could have happened as described. You are telling us that not even the single A-arm was damaged? The frame that holds the steering stem does not even touch the bottow main frame.

Kawasaki 400 4x4 Prarie, Mine
Polaris 330 Trailboss, Wife's
Honda 250 Recon, Daughters
Kazuma 110 Falcon Mkll, Sons

MudDobber

Boomer,

It doesn't take going to Croom's to find those kind of hills, you can find them throughout the state.  I do prefer Tellico outside of Murphy, NC when it comes to "BALLS" as it adds  a pucker factor too.  As far as the trail boss goes, I seriously doubt any dealer or manufacturer will stand behind the damage as you have posted.   
2004 Grizzly
2004 Rancher AT
2004 YFZ450
2004 Raptor 80
2004 Raptor 80
2004 507ci 15' Alumitech
2002 Jeep Wrangler

boomer33611

In a previous post i put right tire it was actually the left, sorry about that. Anyway when my buddy kit the stump the handle bar turned left, if you take you handlebars and turn them all the way to the left they stop because of a stop on the steering stem. If you would keep that angle and push it further that is where the frame bent. if that doesnt make sense tell me and i'll try again.

Whiterider

I think people are confussed because frame just dont break especialy on a Polaris. Everyone knows Polaris atv are damn heavy most of that extra weight is from the frame. I just dont see how a machine welded in a factory could do such a poor job welding a frame that it would colapse at 5MPH

boomer33611

The frame did not bend at a weld, if you look at a 330 where the steering stem is held, there is a piece a metal on both sides that hold the stem, they go from the top to the bottom. Those pieces of metal have "HOLES" cut into them, for what reason i dont know. The reason my buddy bought this bike was because his dad lives in North Carolina and everyone said to buy one. That is the main reason he bought it. I think he got a defective frame. No frame should bend that easily. "I SWEAR to what i have said in the previous posts" That is the only reason why i dony understand how such a major component of the bike got bent and not a tierod.

Whiterider


Teej

Quotewhen my buddy kit the stump the handle bar turned left, if you take you handlebars and turn them all the way to the left they stop because of a stop on the steering stem. If you would keep that angle and push it further that is where the frame bent.

OK, now I have a better understanding. The "frame" did not bend. Change your wording and more will understand you as Polaris has a good frame.

The "bracket" that holds the steering column twisted when the handle bars were turned further than they were designed to. That is why the tie rod and A-frame were not damaged. There was no "impact" damage. The Polaris held lilke it should have.  Now is there a problem with the steering bracket? Should it be stronger? Possibly. I sounds more like you just incountered a freak accident and found a design weakness that does not usually occur.

Polairs is not JUNK. You are still trying to blame Polaris for a major driver error. Come on, he hit a stump at 5 mph? If he wasn't paying attention or isn't a good enough driver to miss that, he should be thankful this happened. It probably kept him from getting seriously injured later when he would have been going faster.
Kawasaki 400 4x4 Prarie, Mine
Polaris 330 Trailboss, Wife's
Honda 250 Recon, Daughters
Kazuma 110 Falcon Mkll, Sons

RAP04

Quote from: MudDobber on January 16, 2006, 11:16:57 PM
I'm surprised these bikes survived the mountain rolls.   :dunno.gif  Florida mountains are among the most treacherous! 

Yea, Must of been a Black diamond or something

Teej

I have gone out again to examine my Trailboss after your further explaination. Again, I say that this was not the main frame that was damaged.
Quotethe handle bar turned left, if you take you handlebars and turn them all the way to the left they stop because of a stop on the steering stem.

Look at "Whiteriders" diagram that he posted. [click on it to enlarge the diagram] The bracket that the steering column goes through attaches to the main frame at the bottom. The tie rod did not bend because the tie rod did not touch the bracket.

I turned my Trailboss handle bars as far as it would go. Now look at Whiteriders diagram. See the part above numbers 5 & 6 in the diagram that is at the bottom of the steering column? This is what the tie rods connect to. This is the part that hits the bracket and caused it to bend. Also, I think you should take the Polaris to a bike shop. If the bracket is bent where I think it is, it can be straightened and a strip of metal attached to the straightened area to reinforce it.

I may be wrong without seeing it, but if you take it to a mechanic that knows what he is doing, this is not a major repair. as you describe it with just the bent bracket, no parts need to be ordered to repair this, unless something else is found when the mechanic pulls the wheel off.
Kawasaki 400 4x4 Prarie, Mine
Polaris 330 Trailboss, Wife's
Honda 250 Recon, Daughters
Kazuma 110 Falcon Mkll, Sons

stump66

Quote from: boomer33611 on January 14, 2006, 01:31:34 AM
My buddy bought a 2005 trailboss 330 4-stroke we took it to croom and 2 days later the bike had a bent FRAME, my buddy ran into a stump at about 5 miles per hour{no lie} and the frame that holds the steering stem bent and twisted., We called Polaris and they said pretty much to go **** ourselves they dont cover colisions. I think my buddy got a defective frame. Polaris has a slogan which says "The way out" we were on the way in and the bike broke now we have to walk out what kind of crap is that? I have a HONDA , I'M GLad i have a honda if i had a polaris then i would have a junked out piece. i have rolled my 400ex down the mountain, front over end mutiple times in the same day. But the irinic thing is my honda was THE WAY OUT. And still has no problems, but yet my buddy hits a stump "which is imposible to not do in croom", and his bike brakes. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO HELP THE SITUATION?

BOOMER33611@netscape.net
My Polaris is the most durable ,relyable bike I have. He must have hit a petrafied tree or he was going faster then he says. They are of all things durable. Did you actually see him hit the tree? Cut the piece out and weld and gusset another piece, it will be as good as new. You might even be able to heat and straighten it, not sure without seeing it. Good luck anyway. You might think about letting your friends ride your stuff.
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

...ride like u stole it

I dont no why peolple bye the polaris's there all a peice brand new or not
KFX700 2005 special addition grey
DG nerf bars, DG v-pro lit front bumber
and getting dual fatboys 6 series [pipe]

2001 yamaha bigbear,super swampers

DZ 350

-05 raptor Alot of Stuff done to it ( FOR SALE !!!!! )

-98' CHEVY 4X4 SILVERADO W/ TO MUCH TO LIST !

-2007 RINCON 680 4X4 W/ WARN BUMPER, HMF PIPE, AND 26" OUTLAWS

-1987 Jeep Wrangler On 44" tractor Tires ( For Sale )

-2001 F-150 on 9" lift 36" TSL's (For Sale)

KD 428

just call the dealer and tell em exactly wut didnt happen lol :D
HONDA CRF450R